Sunday, October 23, 2016

Yoplait pulls commercial after being deemed triggering for eating disorders

June 20, 2011 by
Filed under Body Image

I heard the news of this commercial Yoplait commercial that was pulled after receiving pressure from the National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA) from several people and finally had a chance to see it this morning.

My reaction;

1) This is triggering.

2) The second woman who grabs the yogurt, the one who inspires the first to make her decision on what to eat, looks gaunt, pale, and way thin…nice casting.

3) Who was the marketing genius to dream this one up? A man? A eating disordered woman? A money hungry moron who thought this would be “cute?”

4) This should make you all feel like you are not alone. This commercial makes a reality of what 90% of the female population goes through when making food choices (the good news is YOU can be part of that free and confident 10%!)

5) The answer is — eat the cheesecake. No guilt. No second guessing.

National Eating Disorder Association Media Watchdog WeAreTheRealDealPS Sample_Letter_To_Yoplait_mamavision provided by NEDA’s Media Watch Dog Group that can be sent to Yoplait to “congratulate” them on doing the right thing, and pulling the ad. The tone of the letter is politically correct — which may or may not jive with you, so edit as you see fit. 😉

11 Responses to “Yoplait pulls commercial after being deemed triggering for eating disorders”
  1. Ashley says:

I don’t think this should have been pulled. Anything can be triggering. Where do we draw the line?

2. ellie says:

or don’t eat the cheesecake if it won’t make you feel good. just do what will make YOU feel the best.

3. Heather says:

I was disgusted but not surprised as I witnessed this commercial for the first time with my 9 year old daughter over the weekend. We normally mute all commercials if we watching live TV, anyhow going back I just used it as an opportunity to talk with her again about how sad and sick it is that this poor woman is so controlled by food. While here, will add something that I was both digusted and surprised at, and that was this same daughter just last night at tuck in start telling me about how Grandma’s Wii Fit told her after it gave her weight that she should eat more carrots and fruits it also told her how many fat grams she burned, I should have known! I am a mom who struggled with ED thorugh HS and College so I am very sensative to all of this, of course we had a good talk and will be letting Grandma know. Is there any type of warning on the Wii, that it is not appropriate for children? Anyone else have any comments re: this?

4. simone says:

yeah but the first girl is so much cuter!

ever notice that in movies and shows the one that is made to look ugly is is usually the hotter actress? it’s almost always the case 🙂

5. Jessica says:

Although this commercial could definitely be triggering, it’s definitely not the most triggering commercial out there. However, it does promote the whole mentality of “being good” by eating “healthy” foods and the guilt caused by eating “bad” foods. So many girls and women are caught up in this food guilt and peer pressure to eat diet foods instead of enjoying a reasonable portion of what they are really craving.

In all honesty, Yoplait yogurt is pretty gross tasting and has lots of sugar and other artificial ingredients. I know if I really wanted cheesecake, the cheesecake flavored yogurt would not satisfy my craving.

6. catgal says:

The sad part about this commercial is the internal dialogue of the first woman trying to make the decision, and how it seemed completely normal to me. I had that inner dialogue with myself when I was “on a diet”. It became so bad that I literally cannot “diet” anymore because it makes me obsessive and takes over my life. If it seemed “normal” to me and to the ad execs that made and approved the commercial. I am sure that this is a “normal” way of thinking for many, many women in our society. That is the saddest part of all.

7. .C. says:

“4) This should make you all feel like you are not alone.”

I think that that is an excellent point that we might all miss, MamaV. I know I did not think of that, and it is definitely something to keep in mind and a positive thing to take away from bullshit like this. This is an extra insightful post in that it brings that to mind.

P.S. Yes, Yoplait sucks and I do not eat it because it is not vegetarian (I do not eat gelatin). For those who care, Greek yogurt has way more protein and is really delicious. Try Chobani, Oikos (by Stonyfield) or Brown Cow.

8. aileb says:

I read that it was pulled but I just it aired today! What gives?

9. Ash says:

Absolutely! I have suffered with disordered eating for years and this commercial always brought back a massive wave of food guilt. That sort of mental beat down occurs in disordered eaters all the time, and seeing it approved of in television? I’m disgusted to say, I ended up adding more yogurt to my diet.

10. Alessandra says:

I know that a foreign commercial can be hard to understand, but I think that sometimes images speak louder. The ad here below was broadcast in my country in 2009, and even if it was banned after a few days I still can’t forget the bad taste it leaved in my mouth. Really outrageous.

Now that I’ve seen this new ad, I keep on wondering why the have to do such dangerous trash.