Saturday, December 3, 2016

“You Can Never Be Too Thin” Campaign Flattened.

August 9, 2010 by
Filed under Activism, Media Literacy

New ads from Pretzel Crisps will be taken down thanks to one tenacious blogger from the NYC Blog who cried B.S on this campaign targeted smack dab at those living the pro-ana lifestyle. When will these Marketing Execs learn??

Perry Abbenante, Vice President of Marketing at Snack Factory LLC, maker of Pretzel Crisps, responds. In addition to repeating the same statements the company has made on their Twitter account, Perry explained that they have been monitoring the situation, and will be “making some adjustments to the campaign.”

We hope people noticed what isn’t in the ads: No extra thin, scantily clad female models; No mention of dieting programs, points, etc… Our website and facebook page are all about EATING. We talk about pairing our product in different ways for appetizers. We want people to eat. Our health benefits section details how we can be part of a healthy eating regimen. We in no way advocate unhealthy weight loss or want to promote a bad body image.
We appreciate your feedback and apologize if the ad offended people. We are listening to feedback and making some adjustments to the campaign.

This response is just silly. The tag line of the entire campaign centered around a commonly known saying pertaining to extreme thinness. Period. Who gives a rip that there were no ‘scantily clad models’ or mention of ‘points’ — do these people think we are complete and total morons?

Perry, next time, just zip it. Your words just added more fuel to the fire.

mV

Comments

8 Responses to ““You Can Never Be Too Thin” Campaign Flattened.”
  1. Ashley says:

It’s dumb, yeah.

2. .C. says:

This is so fucking stupid. I get so angry when I hear about this stuff – there’s just nothing to say about it; it is so, so wrong.

.C.

3. M says:

I think you’re blowing this out of proportion. Clearly, it’s about thin pretzel products. Do you really think their marketing campaign is so effective that it will spur thousands of cases of anorexia among those who view it for a split-second on a subway platform every day? You’re not giving people enough credit.

• C says:

I don’t think it will exactly “spur” cases of anorexia, but the first thing I thought of when I saw this was weight, being thin, not the thin pretzels. It’s just this along with everything else in the media… It all adds up. I’m not trying to argue, I’m just sayin’.

• Ashley says:

I have to say, I agree with this. I mean, I understand why it wrong for this to be the ad’s line of advertising, but it’s just a stupid pretzel ad. Most people know that it’s just a stupid pretzel ad and I doubt anyone is actually going to see that and think, “Omg I’m too fat…going to kill myself now.” Now, don’t get me wrong, I still think it’s stupid and should be changed…but I don’t feel like it’s anything to get panties in a bunch over.

• leah says:

first of all there are some people that would think that and second with that kind of person they might kill themselves trying to be skinny. not everyone thinks alike and not everyone can be thin. so be considerate.

4. K says:

I personally think this ad is smart and funny. You can argue all you want about sending the wrong message but the truth is you can never be too thin: thin phones, thin monitors, and thin models.

This ad speaks to who we are as a society. It’s sad that we can’t handle the truth.

5. Ann says:

I’m a former marketing executive and also a woman who hates the have-to-be-thin-to-be-beautiful American mentality, but when I saw the product on the shelves, my first reaction was that it was a good tagline for them.