Sunday, October 23, 2016

The Lane Bryant Skeleton Commercial Is A Fraud

May 26, 2010 by
Filed under Body Image

UPDATE: 5/27/10 It has been confirmed this video is a fraud, created as a viral video using Lane Bryant as their subject. The creators duped us, Huffington Post, Jezebel, and Media Post….a rarity. We regret the error.

I don’t like to use the phrase OMG, but I don’t know what else to say about this, except maybe OMFG!!!

What in the world is Lane Bryant doing?

What’s up with this trend to make fun of eating disorders?

How could the company think this spoof is appropriate?

Here’s the story sent to me from a tipster, thank you very much πŸ˜‰

Still milking the media buzz created when Fox and ABC initially refused to run one of its lingerie ads last month, Lane Bryant is having a new kind of fun: It’s got an ad spoofing underwear powerhouse Victoria’s Secret up on its blog and is asking its customers to weigh in.

The spoof shows a blonde skeleton clad in black bra and panties, smooching herself in the mirror as she admires her “perfect bra made for perfect women, like me. (“Not for chubbies,” says the final voiceover.)

Holly Baird, a spokeperson for Lane Bryant, tells Marketing Daily the company is delighted with the ongoing huzzahs from curvy gals around the country. “Women of all shapes and sizes are glad that someone finally stepped forward and addressed the issue of size discrimination in advertising. It opened up a dialogue that for some time has been hush-hush. And many women felt insecure and ashamed of their full figures. It created a launch pad for this topic to be exposed and gave many the chance to speak up and be proud.”

The controversy started last month, when Lane Bryant, owned by Charming Shoppes, was shot down by both Fox and ABC. “After numerous requests for edits, Fox allowed the spot to run during the last half hour of “American Idol,” she says. “ABC flat out refused to run it during “Dancing with the Stars,” and only after Lane Bryant replied, ‘But you’ll allow the VS ‘nakeds’ campaign,’ did they concede. Lane Bryant has never experienced this level of discrimination.”

As a follow-up to the buzz — the controversy got widespread coverage in newspapers, TV, in blogs and on Twitter — the company last week threw a chainwide 40% off sale to thanks to its fans.

Well, I am sorry Ms. Baird, but this goes way the hell too far. Discrimination, I get it, I support that cause, but this spoof is totally over the top. Have you no regard for the 8 million eating disorder sufferers in this country?

15 Responses to “The Lane Bryant Skeleton Commercial Is A Fraud”
  1. Ashley says:

“Lane Bryant started an important conversation with our now infamous Cacique lingerie ad.

Millions of supporters have expressed their views in a variety of ways and following is one such view, produced by LandLineTV which has no association with Lane Bryant.

Albeit humorous work, that speaks to the cause of accepting beauty in all sizes.”

I was doubtful that LB would be responsible for such a potential PR-shitstorm.

Research. It works!

• Ashley says:

Admittedly, someone seems to approve of the association, but that’s still not the same as creating it. Taking Ms. Baird to the rails for discrimination is a wee hasty.

• mamaV says:

Hi Ashley: Wow, they got me. I received this tip from Media Post which is a legit communications organization, and then checked Huffington Post, and ASSUMED it was for real.

I guess that teaches me a lesson in trusting tips I get. Problem is, when stories are hot, we scramble to post them. Time to cool the jets and do some googling.

Ahhh….I am relived.

BUT — what if the fraud article is a fraud?!!?? πŸ™‚

2. ellie says:

You know, regardless of who produced this, I don’t really see that it’s making fun of eating disorders. Seems to me that it’s making fun of the fashion industry’s persistent promotion of a skeletal ideal.

3. Ashley says:

The commercial seems too amateur and, well, ignorant to be Lane Bryant. But to whoever made that who actually thought that they were sending some kind of important message like that, needs to see their own horrible discrimination in the video itself. I’m all for encouraging sexy body types of all sizes, but bashing Victoria’s Secret in the process is missing the point entirely.

4. Ellie says:

Very irresponsible to post this since it doesn’t seem like you did even the most cursory research to prove your allegations. And weaving together quotes from LB defending an ad from a few months ago to make it look like they are defending this one? Equally classless. When are you going to correct your post and make an apology for your shoddy work?

• mamaV says:

Hi Ellie: I didn’t “weave in” those comments from LB, MediaPost did. Huffington Post and Jezebel bit as well so this was a great stunt.

Sure, we could do more research, I also could have deleted the post entirely, but as sleepydumpling states below — there’s actually A POINT HERE.

Wanna guess at what it is?

• Emily S. says:

And it’s a good point – but still can we take down the mis-information connecting it to Lane Bryant ASAP?

I feel like it’s feeding the “fat girls all discriminate against skinny girls” fire – which in this case is totally not what’s going on.

It was a stunt pulled by a company intentionally trying to go viral for the sake of going viral, their whole intention was to be on the edge. Not that I condone, but this is not at all an “us against them” thing, and if it continues to be associated with Lane Bryant I’m afraid that’s how it’s going to read.

• sarcasticmuppet says:

This, please. This is part of the slide show that is the first thing people see when they enter the site. The least you can do is take LB out of the title.

5. Hear that wooshing sound? That’s the sound of a whole lotta people missing the point. The idea that the outrage was about fat vs thin when it came to the LB ad being censored is way off the mark. It’s about one body type being acceptable and others not. To make this spoof ad is just perpetuating a situation where one body type is acceptable and another is not.

I personally never had a problem with VS ads. But allowing them and not the LB ones is where the problem lies.

Tacky piece on behalf of LandLineTV and LB needs to say “We don’t condone the ridiculing of ANY body type.” or something similar.

6. .C. says:

I have to agree that the post should be edited heavily. Your point can still be made, but without misinformation about Lane Bryant. It does show up on the slide show, and furthermore if I hadn’t read the comments here and saw Ashley’s very helpful post, I would not now know that Lane Bryant didn’t have anything to do with this. The other posters are right: leaving it up as-is is irresponsible.

7. FatNSassy says:

I honestly don’t get how anyone would really think Lane Bryant would be officially involved with this? I don’t think any major company would lack that kind of PR savvy. I am sure they know the rules. Marketers are allowed to be insensitive, deride, publicly humiliate only one group of people – fat women. There are no boundaries or lines to be crossed. A great respect is reserved; however, for their perceived opposites, those whose eating disorders result in severe weight loss. They are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for conformity and this society loves those who destroy themselves rather than rebel. The public may have fallen for it, but professional marketers would never be that naive.