Monday, April 21, 2014

Lady Gaga Eating Disorder?

May 25, 2010 by
Filed under Body Image

When Lady Gaga was recently asked by the magazine if there’s anything special she does to maintain her figure, other than dancing a lot and possibly hitting the gym as well every once in a while,  Gaga’s answer was as blunt as it is potentially upsetting for the fans who look up to her.

“It’s all about starvation! Pop stars don’t eat.”

Now coming from Lady Gaga, I figure her comment was a “joke,” but we all know that eating disorders are no joke, so this really ticks me off.

She has since dismissed rumours she’s suffering from an eating disorder – putting her recent weight loss down to her busy schedule.

The singer has sparked fears for her health in recent months after a string of problems during her Monster Ball tour, including passing out on stage in New Zealand and cancelling shows after she was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat in January.

And Gaga’s increasingly slender frame led to concerns she is in the grip of an eating disorder, but the Poker Face hitmaker is adamant she doesn’t have a problem with food – she just can’t find time to sit down for proper meals.

She tells Britain’s The Times, “My schedule is such that I don’t get very much time to eat. But I certainly don’t have an eating problem.”

Comments

14 Responses to “Lady Gaga Eating Disorder?”
  1. It seems to me that it is awfully difficult to do too many things well.

No, it is not right that she joked about eating disorders. That is serious. Some of her vidoes portray dysfunctional relationships with self and others. That isn’t good to spread around either.

But, we also shouldn’t put our celebrities on a pedestal. They ‘should’ do a lot of things. But we shouldn’t ask them to be amazing performers, international travelers, business savvy, friendly to the ever present masses, spar with the paparazzi and still have half a brain to not say the wrong thing in a ten second sound byte either.

2. Suzie says:

isn’t not having time to eat just as bad as conciously choosing not to eat? eating is a priority. We need it to live. why is it ok to use not having time to eat as an excuse. You find time to brush your teeth, shave your legs, whatever, but you can’t find time to eat? that’s a ridiculous excuse. I’ve used it before: I was also choosing to be too busy to eat.

3. shelly says:

Headline: Lady Gaga was tested for lupus today.

4. Allison says:

She spends multiple hours a day rigging up crazy-ass outfits and makeup, but doesn’t have time to eat? >.<

5. Julianne says:

That’s a lame excuse that holds no water. As others have said, she has plenty of time for other activities and she must spend lots of time sitting on planes, in coaches, taxis etc so there’s no reason whatsoever why she can’t find time to eat.

I would also add that, to my eyes, the image shown has (as with almost all media images) been heavily Photoshopped. I have seen plenty of publicity ads for Lady Ga-ga where she is shown as being considerably slimmer than, say, photos of her from stage shows which are more ‘real life’.

She herself has said that she doesn’t recognise herself in her videos because they make her look taller and slimmer than she really is (Photoshop I can understand but I have no idea how they manage that with video footage).

6. .C. says:

What are we debating here? Who cares if she DOES have an eating disorder, beyond the fact that it’s sad for her? I don’t understand what this discussion is about.

.C.

7. The Binge Diary says:

She looks gross!

8. Kristin says:

And this is how it always goes. We obsess over how fat they are, we obsess over how thin they are. We speculate about whether or not they have an eating disorder and never from a place of empathy. We say “she looks gross” and other equally nasty, mean-spirited things. If she does have an ED that’s her very real struggle, made no less real by the fact that she is an icon. It certainly doesn’t make her deserving of vicious gossip. If you were in such a spotlight and struggling with an ED or addiction or any other of those demons would you want to talk about to the press? Denial is part of the illness not a reason to hate her.

On the other hand, if she doesn’t have an ED (and no, being busy is not an ED it’s bad priorities which is largely what celebrities are made of) we are helping to create an environment that is toxic for all women where our bodies and eating habits are under scrutiny and subject to harsh judgments from people who would be better minding their own business. Do you like the idea of strangers gossiping about your body, size and lunch? I doubt it. So why can’t we just back the hell off become part of the solution for a change.

9. Katy says:

I’m not sure that it is necessarily a bad thing if she is telling the truth… That is, to look “acceptably” skinny, she needs to starve herself. Doesn’t this just demonstrate the dysfunctionality of the popular perception of ‘beauty’ in our society? I’d rather hear celebrities actually being honest about what they have to do to maintain a tiny figure, rather than going on about really, how much they love eating, and they are always devouring hamburgers, they are just naturally skinny etc etc ad nauseam.

10. anonymous says:

Thank You, Kristen.

I have slammed Mama V for this all the time. She is constantly criticizing celebrities’s body types and making rush-snap judgements that every skinny celebrity has an eating disorder. She did this once with Sarah Jessica Parker on her other site, and when I confronted her, her usual wise-ass sarcastic response was something to the effect of SJP is a role model where she likes it or not and people look up to her, and if she doesn’t have an ed, then she is obligated to tell the public what the explanation is behind her weight loss. I kid you not, that’s what she said.

EXCUSE ME???????????????????????????????????????? She may be a role model, but she is also a human being. Same with Lady Gaga. I agree her comment was in poor taste, but if either of them do have eating disorders it’s none of our damn fucking business. Celebrities have a hard enough time maintaining any sense of privacy. Excuse my language, but it incenses me that someone who claims to be a body image activist goes around attakcing everything wrong with everyone else’s. She’s one of the most hypocritical people I have encountered in my lifetime.

11. Ashley says:

I think its not so much that she may have an ED, which if she does is incredibly sad, but the fact that she joked about it. Young people DO look up to her and saying that “its all about starvation. Pop stars don’t eat!” is incredibly negative and dangerous. She should have watched her words better.

• anonymous says:

I agree- it was a poorly worded statement, but I still object MV’s unrelenting criticism and judgement of celebritie’s appearances. I know the media loves to harp on it, but for her to do it is very hypocritical to the messages she throws out about body image and size acceptance. Am I alone on this?

12. gagagoogoo says:

Simple answer really. I live in Hollywood, know many celebrities who have similar schedules as Lady Gaga and, unfortunately, many of the people out here choose to take drugs, such as an E C A stack containing Ephadrine or Clenbuterol based drugs which increase mental alertness, raise metabolism and give them a huge energy boost (e.g. for performing on stage for long periods)

I have no doubt that Lady Gaga restricts her eating, she looks like a typical ED case skinny but not too muscular (Gaga’s being down to energetic routines). She has many characteristics of an ED case, she hides behind a disguise (her zany costumes) she is very creative. Most of all she is always in the public eye under scruitany. Wouldn’t you be weight-aware? In her video Bad Romance she celebrates extreme skinniness – spines, hips & ribs poking out from beneath the skin (what people with EDs strive to achieve through starvation).

She should be a more responsible role model, she is one of the most influential people on the planet and has a lot of young fans! I don’t believe she should have made a comment like that – true or not. I hope she eats something soon perhaps put on 5lbs and seek nutritional advice to avoid fainting on stage again. Then again she is a human and this is a very common disorder, it saddens me to see an abundance of size 0 teens all over California every day. I wish they would have a sandwich once in a while :(