Saturday, October 22, 2016

Fashion freaks say plus size is not physically healthy or flattering

May 17, 2010 by
Filed under Body Image

The fashion freaks are dissing plus-sized women again,  so I had to share.

“It’s not such a good thing to show plus-size because it’s not really physically healthy and not always flattering to fashion,” according to Fashion blogger Garance Dore.

That’s news to me lady.

Quotes like this simply promote eating disorders. Think I am exaggerating?

France and Italy have literally outlawed fashion rules that require models to be at anorexic weights (Amen. BTW – the US isn’t doing JACK SQUAT). What kind of world do we live in when we have to have government step in to regulate this?

The industry literally invented “size zero” to perpetuate the heroin chic style, which has now drifted down to double zero, and I am sure the triple is right around the corner.  They created the need for psychiatrists to call for “warning labels” on digitally-anorexified images so we can tell the difference between a real person and a mannequin.

Further, it is pure and simple ignorance to say a plus sized woman is not physically healthy. According to fashion world standards, 98% of the female population is unhealthy by these rules. As far as women with curves being unable to flatter fashion, please, have you heard of a chick named Crystal Renn?

Fashion has their head so far up their own egos, the vast majority of designers are unable to relate to the real world. Here’s another whopper from Fashion Designer Rosemary Masic;

“We don’t make anything larger than a size 14 as I don’t want to endorse unhealthy living,” the designer told the paper. I am very passionate about life and serious about health. It is the most important thing we have and we should respect and look after our bodies. Size 16 and size 18 is not a healthy size to be.”

Listen Masic, no one has ever heard of you, and if you keep up these quotes you’ll be history before you know it. I find it fascinating that you chose a child to display your designs on your site, since it takes puberty to bring out womanly features, this kid was probably the only one that met your standards. What a crock.

If you haven’t noticed this crap fires me up. I lived it, I could have died in it, and thank god I survived it. No one is ever going to tell me that fashion industry standards are healthy, its complete and total B.S. So when I hear these arrogant asses spewing this stuff, it kills me.

Does it do the same for you or am I off my rocker?

26 Responses to “Fashion freaks say plus size is not physically healthy or flattering”
  1. linds says:

i used to be so conditioned as a child that i didn’t find plus sized models or women above a size 4 to be attractive. i am sad to say that it actually took some effort on my part to come out of those poisonous thoughts. i think that people in fashion or surrounded by fashion are conditioned to think thin thin thin… i really wish they would open their minds. all women are beautiful. naturally.

2. Jacqueline says:

You’re absolutely right. If the weight the fashion industry thinks is necessary to be attractive were healthy their position would be defensible. It’s ridiculous for them to invoke the excuse of health when I’ve never heard that anything about that industry encourages good health.

A thought has been going through my head lately and I don’t know how practical is it. Would it be possible to get designers to promise to not hire minors under a certain BMI and boycott those who don’t agree? After all, when we buy their products we literally buy into this system. It would be nice to make it for all the models, but it’s particularly worrisome concerning the young ones. It almost seems like child abuse. Could you image taking any teenager who wasn’t a model and suggesting that he or she not eat at the risk of suffering ill effects? I think a boycott is the only thing that would do it. If it were cast in terms of protecting children’s health, people would have a hard time arguing against it.

3. Grrrr!!

Yeah, like Ashley (in the Lane Bryant campaign above) looks so unhealthy doesn’t she? If that’s unhealthy, gimme more o’ that!

We really have to use our power of the $$ when it comes to fashion. If they don’t have a fat friendly philosophy, don’t spend money there!

4. Liz says:

I hear you, I really do BUT I have to say it – couture does NOT look good on fat people! It just doesn’t! I agree you can’t say that size 16/18 is unhealthy as a blanket statement and things definitely need to change – especially in the States – but i don’t think Garance Dore is ‘promoting’ eating disorders either. It’s such a tough subject!

• Forestroad says:

Maybe couture would look good on fat people if fashion houses actually designed it for them.

• Liz says:

how would it?? couture is all about lines and shape and structure which is easier to do on a firm foundation.

• Jacqueline says:

First of all, the designer used the justification of health herself.

As far as aesthetics goes, these designers must be pretty limited creatively if they can only design for one body type. That excuse doesn’t wash. Over the centuries and around the world there have been all types styles. This particular aesthetic belongs to a specific time and place and, since it’s our time and place, we can work to alter it if we like. A long time ago I read about one of the big name Hollywood designers who worked for the movies back in the thirties and he said that the need to make clothes that were flattering to the movie stars and that affected the way he designed. I read it a long time ago, but I believe the implication was that that made him a better designer.

Their customers are footing the bill for their pretenses. Would the choose to be such artistes if the had to work in a garret. A couple would, but I suspect most wouldn’t.

5. Kat says:

Makes me wanna scream and punch this fashionable Ladies.
    What happened to “dress as you like” and love who you are?

• Liz says:

I feel like you’re missing the point -what’s above isn’t a matter of fashion people saying DONT dress as you like or DONT love who you are, they are simply saying that being plus sized isn’t flattering to fashion (i assume they mean high fashion because there are plenty of high street and high end beautiful clothes for bigger people but couture is all about aethetics.) which is true.

6. Melissa says:

This makes me want to scream as well. I think until we can all come to terms with the fact that women come in all shapes and sizes and that frankly me at a size 8/10 might be healthier than someone else at a bony size 0 … we will continue to have this conversation. Size isn’t relative … and size does nothing to showcase what’s happening inside one’s body. It’s just a shame on so many levels.

7. Liz says:

Again, fashion isn’t about showcasing what’s inside it’s pure aesthetics! I’m not trying to nit pick Lissa, romise! I love your blog, and you ALWAYS make me thinK!!

• RLBerry says:

So what you’re saying is that anything larger than say, a size 0 or 2 (since that seems to be the preferred size for the powers that be who design “haute couture”) is _not_ aesthetically pleasing. To whom? That’s one very narrow, so to speak, aesthetic viewpoint. Are there no other possibilities?

I realize there is a long tradition of the major design houses in the world presenting their visions of beauty to women. I’m just questioning such a myopic view of female beauty that does not allow for any variations. Since the Wall Street Journal just ran a large article on the shrinking demand in America (and much of Europe) for haute couture, then perhaps there’s something else going on that should be interrogated.

It always cracks me up when Project runway does the design challenge for women who are not model-sized. The designers invariably freak out. Why? If you can proportion for a six foot tall, 100 pound woman, then certainly you can use those skills to design something attractive for a woman who is, say 5’4″ and 140….if not, then perhaps there’s something wrong with their skills as a designer.

Oh, and real haute couture is custom-fit for an individual woman — one and one only. They proportion to fit the client, whether she’s model-sized or not.

8. 1noelle says:

Liz may be correct in her statements about what couture was intially but I for one hate restrictions that are completely unnecessary. We discover greatness most times when someone or something pushes outside and beyond the existing boundries and creates a rule or path.

Since when is fashion restricted? It isn’t! It be absolutely great if Project Runway had that particular challenge of designing couture for the the majority of women here in the US, meaning +10 or more!

The show has acknowledge different conditions for designing clothing from student look to the the working world look, go green….literally, recycle goods to fashion, etc etc ect…the list goes on so why not challenge Project Runway to go all the way to taking on the masses of who is watching this show in the first place! Appeal to them and get some plus size beauties that will be the models for the season and go for it!!!

We only limit ourselves people!

• Liz says:

amen! Though, arguably, skinny models are pushing outside the existing boundaries… 🙂

• Jacqueline says:

That’s funny. My sister’s a big fan of that show and she made me watch it exactly once. The assignment was a prom dress and they were made for real high school students who were all different sizes. I assumed that they did something like that regularly. By the way, that sort of custom work I believe is the origin of couture.

9. Gina says:

I wish Mama V would stop bashing other women’s bodies. First she describes Australian model Jennifer Hawkins as a “toothpick”, then she describes Masic’s model as a “child” who hasn’t reached puberty. I looked at the site and saw a very tall, very slnder and very beautiful young woman – NOT a prepubescent child.

Bashing other women is not a constructive way of opening up discussion about body image.

• Jacqueline says:

Although I agree it’s not good to bash other women’s bodies, one of the reasons I found this blog not long ago is because I realized that my sense of what is a normal weight had become really skewed. I was reading and article on anorexia and I realized I thought the women looked fine, even the ones who later died. I said to myself, I really have to readjust what I think is right. Personally, I need someone to tell me, “No, that person doesn’t look healthy.”

10. Woot says:

“The industry literally invented “size zero” to perpetuate the heroin chic style”.

You know what? To me, the invention of size 0-1 actually allowed me to buy clothes on the Misses-Women section without feeling self-conscious. Before that, I either had to forget about wearing jeans or buying a Kids 14. Yep, I was that small: neither because of a heroin-addiction nor because I was suffering from an ED.

• Jacqueline says:

Me, too. I didn’t have an eating disorder either. I’m a little shorter than average which is why I prefer to talk about BMI than clothing size. Now that I’ve gained weight, it’s easier to buy clothes. That would be great it if I hadn’t suffered a huge loss of self-esteem. I feel ugly and can barely look in the mirror. This is despite the fact that I’m just as healthy as before according to any medical measure. Also, many of the people I know tell me how much better I looked before or give me diet tips. It contributed to the end of my last relationship.

In some ways, I didn’t realize how sick this society was until I gained weight. I was made to feel quite unwanted an some body acceptance blogs when I said I was petite, so please don’t misinterpret what I’ve written as an attack on you. I’m also glad that there’s a greater range of sizes available.

Fashion designers are not hiring tall, thin models to expand the range of sizes on the runway and complement all those short models, heavy models and medium sized models. They are promoting an ideal which is not attainable for most women. What percentage of women can maintain healthily a BMI of under 18? When I had a BMI of 20 (size zero) I suffered from low blood pressure.

Am I the only person here who thinks that it’s tantamount to child abuse to encourage girls whose bodies may still be developing to have a BMI around 17?

• Woot says:

Regarding what you said about society, it reminded me an opinion I read somewhere saying something along the lines of “women blame society for body issues, like society is a separate entity from which they do not form part”.

I never looked up at the fashion industry as a standard of anything but clothing. For me, a model is just a walking-hanger. And yes, I believe that the fashion industry promotes “child abuse”, not because of the BMI issue…but because they hire teens to work on a very adult world.

11. Sally says:

If couture “doesn’t look good on plus-size women”, how is it that Marilyn Monroe (plus-size by today’s standards) and other large women in films, always looked so sensational?

• Jacqueline says:

You call a size 8 plus sized? She was five feet and five and a half inches and weight one hundred and eighteen pounds. Yes, she was very curvy and had large breasts but she had a very tiny waist.

I’m sorry if I’m sounding so argumentative, but I recently came to the conclusion that I have a mild case of body dismorphia and I’m trying counter this by being as realistic about these things as possible.

She certainly did look sensational and she also was not thin enough to be a fashion model today, but she wasn’t plus sized.

No matter what her size was, it’s sad that someone who wanted to be a great actress is only ever mentioned regarding her body.

12. Fuck Yeah Skinny Chicks says:

Yes, those people are total assholes, but please recognize that size 0 and 00 women are real and we can’t help the way we are any more than we can. Pretending that we aren’t real hurts.

13. cvat says:

So True – i love it! Maybe the fashion industry could focus on people of all shapes and sizes and how to look good at any weight or size.

14. Wow, it is so sad that women who are size 16 and above have to deal with nonsense like this. This is why we must be comfortable in the skin that God has created. I know how it feels to want to look like someone else because “society” says that I am not good enough, REALLY? God says that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. So what that I am not a size 12 or 14 for that matter. My focus is on my health and not my size. Did you know you could be a size 0 and still not be healthy or a size 14 and still not be healthy. Yes I use to be a 30/32 and that is unhealthy to carry all that weight on a 5’9 frame but I was still beautiful. I lost the weight and now weight 215lbs and I am healthy but according to the standards of the article I still would not be physically healthy to pose for them, really? I have ran a marathon, I lift weights, I do cardio and I help others on their journey. I have a business called Size Healthy and I focus on the importance of your health and the way you think. I am so glad that the article doesnt make me go out and stop eating because I love me, all 215 lbs of it. It did the same for me and thank you for posting it.