Friday, September 30, 2016

The real Britney steps forward…..and deserves a round of applause.

April 14, 2010 by
Filed under Body Image

Say what you will about Britney Spears, but I gotta tell ya, she earned some of my respect back with this brave photo shoot reported by Daily Mail.  The 29 year old pop-star allowed her body to be photographed without airbrushing, showing cellulite, bruises and all.

“Imperfections” that can be clearly seen in the un-airbrushed shot include blemishes on her calf, her real-sized thighs and, if you look really closely, you can see her feet have dry skin on them.  The airbrushed pictures, however, tell a different story with a slimmed-down waist and flawless, skinny legs.

In the second picture, she is seen from the back – in the un-airbrushed shot she has areas of cellulite (just like the rest of us) on the back of her thighs, a tattoo on her lower back (sometimes called a ‘tramp stamp’) is clearly visible and her backside is not “perfect” as we are led to believe.

However, in the altered photo all signs of womanly-ness have been wiped out – and she appears to have a pert rear, unrealistically smooth skin, slimmer legs and the tattoo has vanished.

So what is the moral of this story? Will we snap ourselves into reality as more and more stars come out of the closet with their real bodies showing? Does this make you feel any better about your own body, cellulite and bruises?

I say yes! I say AMEN and bring more of these images of the Hollywood stars out front and center so we can keep pushing the needle in the direction of reality.
The reality of true beauty, pure womanly curves, shown in shapes and sizes we should be proud of.
mV

Comments

16 Responses to “The real Britney steps forward…..and deserves a round of applause.”
  1. Amazingly, she looks like a woman with a body which has produced a couple of happy, healthy little kids. Imagine that.

2. Yum Yucky says:

Wow. I gotta give Brittany some respect for doing this. I think she looks better UN-airbrushed anyways. Her curves are awesome. I really do hope more celebs have the courage to do this.

I love this — wish more celebs would come out and show us their real photoshoot pics. She’s beautiful AS IS.

4. love2eatinpa says:

wow, kudos to britney!

sadly, she has made some bad choices in her life, but this was a great one! she doesn’t need all the airbrushing to look fantastic.

if only more celebrities would have the guts to do this!

5. Candice says:

Love it, love it, love it. She takes a lot of crap – criticism about her parenting, her background, her singing, her clothing choice, jokes about her breakdown and addiction… and she still stands tall. And then she does this. She deserves more praise than she gets.

6. That is awesome!!!!!

7. Suzie says:

I love britney and always have. This just shows she is fantastic.

8. Tessa says:

I am amazed at myself that I was surprised Britney has these kind of imperfections… I think of myself as some one who is aware of ‘the fake that is media’. Guess I still have got some way to go… Thank you for the reminder.

9. vitty10 says:

I hope this kind of thing happens more often. Women need to know that the bodies they are chasing after just don’t exist for the most part. Everybody has “flaws.” I don’t even know why we call them flaws when most women seem to have them. It’s normal!

10. Bridget says:

They messed with her eyes in the second photo as well. In the original photo her eyes look wider and more innocent, in the second they’ve been lowered to look sexier.

11. impotenta says:

i love photoshop.:)

12. tammy says:

I think she looks fine in the before shot.. but those are not “real sized thighs”.. in general, most women don’t look like that. Of course there are exceptions.. but most regular people don’t look like her.

• Candice says:

Agreed. But that’s the thing – she’s already lucky to look the way she does. It’s so annoying that people feel that still needs to be “improved.”

13. Danielle says:

When I view the “unedited” version I realize that this woman is an unusual specimen of human to begin with, and then they have to take it further!? I don’t know a lot of women that look like her BEFORE the airbrushing, and obviously the edited picture looks like a creepy child’s doll.

Most of the “before and after” airbrushing pictures make me sad because the women they are changing are fantastic to begin with. They are already younger than normal looking, lacking the average amount of cellulite, surprisingly symmetrical, and “skinny”. So superhuman is not okay, and instead alien is the new black?

14. Kat says:

I think its nice that she allowed the real photos to be seen, BUT (maybe i am biased cause i am from Germany/Europe and I think we arent as body obsessed as the US seem to be -maybe i am wrong, but thats my impression-) a real improvement would have been NOT to photoshop the pictures and insist on using the “real deal” for whatever its ment to be used for…Kohls I suppose?

Yes, i applause for showing the “real deal” to us, but i would be even happier if we would stop photoshoping the crap out of stuff (and I know what I am talking about, I worked as a professional photographer).

• Jacqueline says:

I think you’re quite right that Americans are more obsessed than Germans. When I tell a German friend of mine what American men say to me on dates, he’s quite taken aback. However I don’t think that applies to all Europeans. I’ve had a couple of French boyfriends and they can be as harsh on women about body image as Americans can. Their style is different, less T&A and more BCBG, but it’s still pretty body obsessed.