Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Eating Disorders & Meds: should you try em’?

April 10, 2010 by
Filed under Body Image

The decision to go on meds for an eating disorder is a tough one, often a last resort for many. For me, meds absolutely changed my life, and I wish I wouldn’t have waited so darn long to give them a chance.

Comments

12 Responses to “Eating Disorders & Meds: should you try em’?”
  1. WRG says:

Thank you for this video! I have a teenager who’s suffering from ADD and depression (no ed, thank goodness). The ADD meds are doing nothing. I think if we don’t deal with the depression he’s just going to go down the rabbit hole. I just sent his psychiatrist an e-mail today saying that it might be time for anti-depressants and now I’ve watched your video. It really spoke to me. Thanks again.

• sIM'One says:

not to be presumptuous, but in my experience with ADD meds.. (i was on (ritalin, dexadrin and adderal at different times) most of these drugs are “uppers”, which results in a crash period.. which can add to or cause depression.
      what goes up must come down..

in any case, because you have a teenager who is going through all sorts of chemical changes at this time to begin with, i encourage you to do your own research on these meds.

happiness to you both!
      s

2. sIM'One says:

i’m the opposite of you. when i take meds, i get ALL of the side effects.
    since i was a teenager i’ve been on all different sorts of meds for anxiety, ADD and depression. when i was younger and had less control over my life, both my parents and my physicians refused to believe me about the severity of the side events that i reported to them. they told me i must have been having an “emotional reaction”, meaning i simply didn’t want to take them, and that is why i was making myself sick. although i did give it the old college try and stuck it out for months, which gave me all sorts of cognitive and physical symptoms throughout my most important developmental years.

i also seem to have had the opposite of your experience medically; the doctors would prescribe meds immediately as the first and only solution- as opposed to the final solution when nothing else works. i’ve been called stubborn and told that i am just not committed to getting well, because of my refusal to take these drugs. but, i stuck to my guns and realized after years of simply trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle, that my anxiety has lessened and the crippling depression that had me in bed throughout my teen years is completely gone.

just.. letting you know that there is another side of the coin. yes, we are all different in our experiences as well as our physical selves. which is the very reason why i am skeptical and believe that there needs to be more extensive testing of these substances before we start giving them to our kids (who are already undergoing a myriad of chemical changes) to swallow.

3. 1noelle says:

I did not know you were on meds and now I wish I did back then! I too believed a person must be seriously ‘looney’ if on certain meds. Always wished my mom was on them!
    Fast forward 10 years and bam, I had to confront the serious realization of my anxiety before my health and mental well being completely deteriorated.
    I still did not go the meds route, I chose intense and frequent therapy and hypnotherapy. I still have some recurring ‘issues’ affecting my ability to sleep but I manage. I know I can go without meds but knowing someone as grounded as you has success in meds and allows you to enjoy your life and family does change my view point.
    Thanks! Not always easy to air all your secrets!

• mamaV says:

Hi Girl! Yep, I kind of kept this a secret in my business life, but now I just let it fly. I figure it can help others, and really, the life changing impact is amazing.

I did do traditional cognitive behavioral therapy for 6 years during ED recovery but I was still left with my anxiety which frankly was killing me. I was missing out in my kids life, and that was the kicker for me to do something.

It’s funny, you say I am so “grounded.” Many people do and my response is usually “Thanks…I am heavily medicated :)”

4. cggirl says:

Wow good for you for posting this! And I appreciate your honesty about the self conscious feelings you have about it as well.

I have anxiety issues as well… And depression sometimes but I think the anxiety is the bigger thing. I think they are one part of what’s stopping me from having kids – i’m afraid I will just fall over the edge and never cine back. It’s good to know that there is medication out there as an option.

It’s funny that there is such a stigma. Meanwhile lots of people self medicate with alcohol or illegal drugs or dangerous behaviors, and just consider that cool somehow. What’s better? Doing risky things that might hurt ourself and others, or trying medication under a docir’s supervision to see if that helps? I say the latter!

And I am glad you’re open about it, maybe that will help some people reading this.

• mamaV says:

Hi CG Girl: Why do you think having kids will impact your anxiety — do you mean this from a perspective of life change and pressure just making things more anxiety prone, or are you thinking your hormones change and cause anxiety to go up?

In my case, my anxiety was (and is) completely focused on my kids, and loved ones, and the fear of losing them. I could drop over tomorrow, and I am fine with that thought, but the constant fear of loss is what put me over the edge of reality. However, I have experienced several traumatic loses in my life, so I believe it was these experiences that caused my focus to be here.

Bottomline, don’t be afraid to get informed, and if you do see a licensed Psychiatrist (not a general practitioner). There is no harm in checking into it right?

Interesting point about drugs/alcohol — I always say these are people with undiagnosed anxiety, depression or other mental illness. Its sad really isn’t it?

• cggirl says:

I think I am afraid of both those aspects – the hormonal aspect and post partum depression as well, and then the respmsibility and upheaval of your life aspect of it. But really I do hope to get over those fears someday and have children I think, otherwise it would be a non issue, I’d just settle into a mode of oh I wasn’t meant to be a parent and that’s fine. But part of me thinks I WAS and I SHOULD, hence the conflict.
        There are also things in my family that make me worry about it… It’s just very ME to have a lot of anxiety and guilt and all that can escalate just from being a parent, the responsibility and the worry, just as you describe – the fears are much harder to deal with than if it were just yourself.

But, as we both are saying here, there are luckily various options fr treatment 🙂

5. Candice says:

Medication is such a personal issue. I was on meds for depression and anxiety in my early-to-mid 20s and I never hid it from anyone. But someone close to me recently entered rehab for substance abuse and, in addition to their primary addiction, had to be treated for anti-anxiety med addiction… and they had been given the anti-anxiety meds to help deal with the issues that propelled the primary addiction (which their primary doctor didn’t realize they had). I think medication can work wonders and be fantastic for people who need it, but it also requires care and attention.

I think being open about med use is wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

• mamaV says:

Hi Candice: Agreed completely, CG made the same correlation above. I am going to speak more about this topic because I am seeing it strikes a chord, and really, I am a great example of someone who is so blessed to have discovered something that could change my life in amazing ways.

Ability to concentrate and focus (I did poorly in school and I believe anxiety was part of the problem way back then).

Ability to READ! (you know how important that is Bookish Penquin!!)

Ability to be, just be comfortable in my own skin (can’t explain that one, but if you have ever experienced this, you know what I mean).

I do worry about long term effects but then I think I would rather live 20 more years with this head than 40 with the old one!
      mV

Trackbacks

1. […] Count As FatTop Fashion "Roll Model" Gemma Ward Calls It QuitsShaving – My Hairy Little SecretEating Disorders & Meds: should you try em'?Diesel "Be Stupid" Campaign Screams; C'mon Girls Show Us Your !#%@$!Reebok Better-Ass Shoes: Are we […]