Thursday, September 29, 2016

The Turn Me Red Society

April 2, 2010 by
Filed under Activism

This group reached out to me on mamavision.com and I really dig their mission, thought you would too. Love ya girls, mV

____

There’s something wrong with a female who hates her own kind.

For most of us, the pressure to silence ourselves–to please everyone else BUT ourselves–has made us feel cramped, stifled, even lifeless for TOO LONG.

This is a call to action.

Give respect in order to receive it.

The female gender is a precious gift and heavy responsibility. Attribute it to whichever higher power to which you subscribe, or consider it serendipitous that we exist.

We are emotional creatures. [This doesn’t have to mean dramatic or unreasonable.]

Women should love themselves–their bodies, their minds, their abilities, their potential, their humanity. Why not love one other collectively? Why not find solidarity in what many have come to know as intellectual and emotional solitude?

Females are socialized to believe that our gender is the enemy. Call it patriarchy or misogyny. Call it the brainwashing of popular culture. Call it blazing insecurities. Call it what you will. We are assembling in an attempt to reverse the assumption that the female sex will and should always want to destroy itself. We want to build each other up. We hope to be the kind of people our little girl spirits wanted to grow up to one day be.

This is a “challenge to the myriad ways in which girls are looked at, but not seen; talked about, but not listened to; used, discarded, violated, exploited, maimed, and even killed. Like a woman claiming her body, a [woman] claiming her emotions breaks a silence and unleashes a vast resource of clean energy, an energy that can inspire all of us to transform and [to] heal.” – Carol Gilligan

We are absolutely not a man-hating organization. Too many of us have men in our lives who shine for us, and to bash them–or to even allow others to do so in front of us without recourse–simply isn’t okay.

We’re here to disprove the theory that “feminist” has a negative connotation.

If someone’s shoes are cute, they’re cute. Deal with it.
Tell her they’re cute. Don’t hate. Compliment generously. Mean it this time.

Appreciate the feminine beauty around you. Draw on the strength of our mothers and sisters.

There are no dues. We’ve paid enough. [Everyone has.]

Eat cheese fries if you want them. Dip it in ranch.

Don’t carry the weight of the universe just because you’re the woman.

You actually can be intelligent–enlightened, even– and still watch a little television. [Even the reality variety, if that is your escapism. If it’s your goal to find love on one, this probably isn’t the page for you. But watch it with your friends or alone. Eating junk food or sugar snap peas.]

We don’t expect to always like each other, but love is our method and respect is required.

You can be brilliant and do a shot of SoCo and Lime. Or four. Or you can drink the water. Every time.

We thrive amongst the ruins, only because we realize we are never truly alone, especially when it feels hopelessly as if we are…

Don’t let the ones who come after us feel intimidated or afraid. Help us lift them up.

Atlas, set down the world, put on some heels and have a real conversation.

Comments

13 Responses to “The Turn Me Red Society”
  1. Shhhh says:

YAY!!! How awesome!!

I am one of those women who see beauty and HAS to comment. I am ALWAYS approaching people and telling them if something about them or their clothes strikes me. I know that if someone does it to me it can absolutely make my day, so why hold back if I have a thought about someone else??

Would you believe I’ve been accused of being gay, because of it? (nothin wrong with gay, I’m just not) I saw an AMAZING looking woman walking down the street and said “wow, she’s hot”. The guy I was with (just a friend) said “so it’s true, you swing both ways”. I was SHOCKED. No, I told him, I just appreciate beauty in all it’s forms. I never forgot that conversation cuz it PISSED me off.

• Mike in Philly says:

Yeah, us guys can never understand that. How can a woman call another woman hot and not be considered gay. Just another one of those irritating things.

• 1noelle says:

I consciously decided this year that I would make a point of going up to anyone, any gender, any age and give the compliment out loud I was thinking in my head. I had to make myself do this believe it or not and I don’t know why….what was I afraid of?

The reactions I have been getting have been surprising to me. Maybe it is the way I deliver the compliments or where? I have experienced a wide range of reactions from mistrust/confusion to surprise to joy.

Two groups mostly- the first and largest group did not receive my compliments positively at first, maybe I embarrassed them or they did not think I was being genuine or weighing out if I was trying to pick them up….those reactions I would try to reinforce in a gentle way my intensions were true and appreciative, mostly because I don’t want a group of men and women alike to think I am a player trying to pick up on all of them!

The second group – much smaller than the first unfortuntely often smiled big and wide and stood a little taller and thanked me for noticing. However, everytime that happened, I FELT BETTER! Weird huh?

As a woman I want to be girly but strong, I am a business woman working along side men and want to be respected as an intelligent contributor with skills that are valuable but recognize I AM a woman and don’t want to be treated equal. I like having the doors opened for me, I like wearing high heels, I like feeling my male counter parts will protect me if necessary. In return, I recognize they are men and need to be appreciated and recognized for their contributions and that together we both can make a difference and do not have to fight against each other but work along side each other.

• Mike in Philly says:

Why can’t all women think like you, 1noelle?

• 1noelle says:

Mike thank you!
          And Tessa I love that line, ‘equal, but not the same”
          YES YES YES!

I was very confused on what role I wanted to be/play in my 20s and early 30s. Did I desire to be Ms Independent taking on the world or supportive wife taking care of the successful husband. Could I do both? Do I want to both?
          I wanted opportunities, just like a man, and be judged fairly based on skills and experience etc. I did not want to have to conform and dress or act like a man to get ahead. I love being ‘girly’
          I recognized the advantages of being a professional woman in male dominated industry and discovered ways to benefit and get ahead because I AM a woman. Is that fair to men that worked along side me? No, but life isn’t fair and we eventually found ways that all of us could work together and get ahead.
          I believe I can have my career and make my opportunities but maintain my femininity and become a great wife and supporter to a husband at the same time…at least one day I hope.

• Jacqueline says:

Because all women aren’t her.

• Tessa says:

>>I AM a woman and don’t want to be treated equal<<
        I would like to redefine it to: "equal, but not the same".

It took me me than thirty years to realize its pretty cool te be a girl…

I love this talk:

2. Kate says:

Hooray for being able to be complicated and contradictory! I hate having limited definitions of beauty and womanhood. Why can’t we just accept that people are complex?

And hell yeah, bring on the cheese fries. I know I do… πŸ™‚

3. CandiceBP says:

Yes, hurrah for complication and variety. My husband and I talk about other people’s attractiveness or clothing choices all the time, and it’s not like we’re looking for a third party to join us at home; we’re simply appreciating the human form in all its variety (and the various clothing choices people make).

I can’t help but tell a woman when I love something she’s wearing, like a certain pair of shoes or a pin, or if something looks especially nice like a new haircut, etc. I know I feel great when someone says something like that to me and it feels like a genuine compliment.

And I hate when people don’t eat what they want because they’re in public. Just friggin eat.

Great post, love it πŸ™‚

Love love love this post – thank you for putting into words what so many of us think.

I also saw this post recently that hit home: http://tomatonation.com/culture-and-criticism/yes-you-are/

5. Jacqueline says:

My grandmother couldn’t walk when she got older due to the shoe she wore when she was younger.

I don’t want to be girly, is that okay?