Sunday, December 4, 2016

Love Your Flawz

February 9, 2010 by
Filed under Self Esteem

This 5-minute video is absolutely worth a peek at for its creativity and powerful message about loving yourself exactly as you are, flaws and all.

To be honest, I’d never heard about her until I came across this video online today, but musician Caitlin Crosby created “Embrace Your Flawz” to highlight men and women (including Crosby) showing off their natural beauty.

According to its YouTube description, many have contributed to the video and website campaign, including Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jordan Sparks, Zachary Levi, Margaret Cho, American Idol’s Jason Castro, Russell Simmons, Linda & Brooke Hogan, Brie Larson, Avatar’s Joel David Moore, Olivia Munn, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Charlyne Yi, Emily Osment of Hanna Montana, as well as hundreds of fans who want to show off their flaws.

To learn more about Caitlin or the campaign, visit www.caitlincrosby.com and www.loveyourflawz.com.

How about you? Did you like the video? What flaw do you already embrace/can you start to embrace?

Comments

13 Responses to “Love Your Flawz”
  1. Katie says:

What a great way to start out today!! Thanks SO much for this great video!

2. ronisweigh says:

LOVE this video! I’m such a sap now I have a tear. 🙂

3. love2eatinpa says:

awesome video!!!
    i have embraced my cellulite and my funky abs due to three umblliical hernia surgeries. if someone else doesn’t like them, that is there problem!

4. Amy says:

I think every woman needs to see that. I know that I certainly did! What a beautiful message!

5. Shelly says:

this video was the highlight of my morning…thanks

Glad you all like it.

A regular commenter on my personal blog said something that really resonated too.

She said: “this was really heartwarming. i liked most the folks with the “what flaws?” signage. id like to take it a step further and ask, who defines flaws? Hollywood? society? peers? i dont want to give in to the “flaw definers” and decide i have to “embrace” what they find wrong with me. the one flaw i will work forever to change is to not fall into the trap of holding myself to someone else’s definition of a flaw.”

I think she has a good point here, too … here I go, playing devil’s advocate with my own post; )

7. CandiceBP says:

What a wonderful video! I have to say, though, that I was wondering kind of the same thing that your other commenter did. What are flaws? Flaws, by definition, are imperfections? But who said the human body was supposed to be perfect? And what defines perfect?

Sometimes I think growing up fat saves you from this one particular aspect of self-shaming. When your whole body is considered “wrong” or “bad,” you don’t really spend time nitpicking on particular parts. I never spent time looking in a mirror thinking my nose or ears or thighs or anything in particular – what was the point since the overall picture wasn’t acceptable anyway.

So I would want to take this one step further and have it not just be about loving your flaws – but debunking the entire idea of flaws, period. There can’t be flaws if there is no perceived ideal.

“There can’t be flaws if there is no perceived ideal.” — beautifully said, Candice. And I think therein lies the problem -there is, and always has been, a perceived ideal.

9. Bethama says:

I adore the dark circles under my eyes. Just cracks me up when someone I barely know asks me if I’m tired. “No, why? Oh, right.”

10. Nell says:

Great vid! I love the message, love the way it’s presented, love Caitlin for it (never heard of her before- have I really been gone that long?).

Candice, you hit the spot once again. Still I believe it is human nature to strive for something we like to call “perfection”, no matter what is defined as such, and therefore we need that kind of goal to keep going forward evolution-wise (we’re just too soft to do the hardcore “survival of the fittest” in the sense of the word anymore).

Flaws to me are something that I can see changing for the better in future generations (or even in myself), and thus something to be embraced as a sign of progress (skewed logic, I know). Nothing has ever come from a “perfect” existence- there is no change in perfection. Embrace your flaws! They make you better!

11. Hanna Montana is really great, my kids love her and my niece love her too’`*

Trackbacks