Friday, August 22, 2014

Diesel “Be Stupid” Campaign Screams; C’mon Girls Show Us Your !#%@$!

February 4, 2010 by
Filed under Body Image

Now that I am done hyperventilating over this situation, I think I am in a half way reasonable state of mind to write this post about the Diesel Be Stupid ad campaign, sent to me by the mother of a 14-year-old daughter who was subject to this ad from Nylon Magazine.

And we wonder why kids are SEXTING?

The pathetic part about this is the “Be Stupid” concept is a good one, a series of well thought out taglines meant to encourage teens and twenty somethings to take chances, make mistakes, and not be afraid of failure. But why, for the love of God, did they have to attach this inspirational campaign to a picture of a chick flashing her boobs to a security cam? Do they have no daughters, nieces, or young girls in their life? Would Diesel Execs be proud to show their kids this ad?

Hold on — I’m just getting warmed up.

I meandered over to their homepage, to find this lovely banner flashing in my face. I blinked a few times and it was still there.

You read it right, the brand message here is:

SUCKS THE BALLS, HAS ANAL. REGRET-FREE HANGOVER.

Turns out they are running an interactive tool where users can create their own sayings after being oh-so-inspired by the Be Stupid creative magic. They obviously decided to wing it and have no moderation whatsoever (so when you go there you will see a different message that appears to rotate) . WTF x 1000?

Ok, pick your jaw up off the floor, and let’s move on to the Kids Collection. Reminiscent of the Calvin Klein child molestation campaign of the 90s, this campaign features various children, posed provocatively, shirts removed, sexy expressions peering through the tossled hair.

So how did we get here? I know, I know, sex sells. I’m writing about it, many others will write about, we’ll all  be outraged, and as a result Diesel sell a shit load of jeans. What to do?

GIVE EM’ A PIECE OF YOUR MIND

How about we slam the living crap out of their web site, Head of PR, and Director of Communications? Sounds good to me.

Let these bastards know what we think of their sexual exploitation campaign featuring not only young women, but also children in various stages of undress. Ask them if it’s fun sexualizing kids for a living. Tell them they should be ashamed of themselves.

PR DIRECTOR

Erin Hawker (yes, a woman, it should be interesting how she spins this baby)

212-755-9200 ext 360

Erin_Hawker@diesel.com (include an underscore _ between first and last name)

VP of Communications

David Ireland

212-755-9200 ext 344

david_ireland@diesel.com (include an underscore _ between first and last name)

Link to form on the Diesel Store web site, go here.

One last little fun fact: Diesel’s brand tagline is “For Successful Living.”

Ahhh…not so much,

mamaV

Comments

99 Responses to “Diesel “Be Stupid” Campaign Screams; C’mon Girls Show Us Your !#%@$!”

I don’t even know what to say; this is so abominably, ridiculously heinous and makes me sick. Who the hell ARE these people who created this campaign?! WTF?!! I’ll be writing an email for sure. The campaign idea isn’t terrible (encouraging fearlessness, being willing to make mistakes, anti-perfectionism) — it’s actually kind of cool — but the execution … makes me nauseous.

2. Yum Yucky says:

This is sickening. After my stomach gets done turning, I will be emailing.

3. Ok I am in shock and that is hard to do! WTH?! And now I am speechless….

4. CandiceBP says:

I’m with Shannon – I really feel like I shouldn’t be shocked by things but this had my jaw hitting my desk. And like Lissa said, encouraging fearlessness and anti-perfectionism is seriously awesome – but WHY, WHY, WHY does it have to have flashing your boobs as one of those empowering things. UGH. And why “Be Stupid”??? As an educator, I find that overwhelmingly frustrating. It’s already uncool enough to be smart, now we’re supposed to actually be stupid? I would NEVER EVER support a product that encouraged my friends or my kids to “be stupid.” NEVER. Why wasn’t “Be smart – be brave!” enough?

To be honest, I don’t take issue with *most* of the kids collection pictures – they seem to be putting on more of a bratty bravado than anything else – but there are some that are clearly sexualized, and that is always troubling and always WRONG. They will be hearing from me, for sure.

5. Miss Lori says:

I am reading this on my phone while waiting in line at a store & people are staring at me because I keep gasping. Though, the sadest thing is I’m not gasping in surprise, just agony. This campaign doesn’t surprise me because the sexualization of childhood has been moving fast forward from just the hideous state of permissible to the reprehensible state of MARKETABLE. Companies are making money literally on the backs, and fronts, of our children. The only way this will stop is if we stand up and yell, LEAVE OUR KIDS ALONE! Otherwise, I promise you it will get worse before it gets better.

SMILE On!

ML

6. Atchka! says:

Well, they definitely achieved stupid with this campaign. So, um, goal met?

I can’t say I’m surprised. They’ll get tons of media attention [read: free advertising] and that’s all that matters to them.

*sigh*

Ah, modern life.

Peace,
    Shannon

7. Bianca says:

Oh my God! I have never thought of myself as a prude, but I started at the screen in shock for like 10 minutes. I swear I can see a nipple.

I’m tweeting this up a storm and so are the rest of the bloggers here. I wrote my e-mail -hope you’ll write yours. Let’s get this campaign pulled. Power in numbers, ladies!

9. tombrokaw says:

Diesel makes great jeans. Not the best designer jeans, but up there. They are for teens and for twenty somethings who still think like teens.

Keep getting in a huff because the fact of the matter is that how cool a thing is stands in direct proportion to how angry parents get about it.

You are contributing to their success.

• Gina says:

Agree. And you’ll notice that whenever there is a supposedly sexist ad campaign out there, it hasusually supposedly been developed by a woman. Big-ticket advertising and marketing is a very cynical business.

• mamaV says:

Hey Tom: Your gig is tired. We are not contributing to their sucess because blogs actually have power these days, and they can destroy a brand.

At 16 I was living in Paris, alone, in the oversexualized modeling industry. I haven’t forgotten one moment of it, nor have I become some prude that doesn’t get that sex will always sell.

Here’s the question — do we have to take it this far? I mean “sucks the balls, has anal, regret-free hangover is cool with you?”
      It’s demented.
      mV

10. amber says:

okay, as a 15 year old, i kn ow girls aren’t sexting because of shit like this. we know right from wrong and diesel is running these ads because this is what we think is FUNNY. i think these ads rock. come on heather theres more important things on to worry about! this is very much not an influence. if you want to talk about teens and influences go to the source-not the result. can we even call this a result? sense of humor. most teens have one.

• CandiceBP says:

This is really interesting to me. I would really like to know what about this is funny – and I’m not being sarcastic, I really would like to know because I can’t imagine how this is funny. If you’re the target audience and they’re reaching you on a level we’re missing, it would be really interesting to find out what we’re not getting about this.

• amber says:

how am i to explain a sense of humor? it’s funny, and it’s being taken too seriously. everyone needs to chill out and put their signs down, and we can combat something that matters.

• CandiceBP says:

But teaching young women to expose themselves under a false sense of fearlessness isn’t funny – it’s exploitative. When a world where women are continued to just be treated as objects is perpetuated, it compounds the other things that matter that we have to combat.

And it’s never funny to encourage young people to be stupid. Period.

I was wondering the same thing, Candice …

• john says:

And this is exactly what’s wrong with kids today, Amber.

• tombrokaw says:

See that? It’s already working as planned.

• Jules says:

I’m not 15 anymore, but I can still see the humor in it. (I guess I never really ‘matured’.) What makes the whole thing even funnier is how it gets people’s panties all in a bunch.

Media is influenced by their target audience, not the other way around. And it’s quite clear that adults were not the target for those ads.

• mamaV says:

Hi Jules: No shit? How about you enlighten us with your knowledge on how media does not influence behavior and culture?

BTW…Its kind of a parents job to make sure they are paying attention and talking to their kids about these sorts of things so they can help them get a grip on the reality of the world. This isn’t about hiding this crap, its about talking about it and deciding what kind of person you want to be.
        mV

• Jules says:

mamaV: “No shit? How about you enlighten us with your knowledge on how media does not influence behavior and culture?”

It’s called personal experience. All the girls I went to school with had access to all the fashion magazines with skinny models as girls do today. Did that mean that they felt being thin was desirable? No way. And my tall, skinny body was the butt of jokes. If media is the influence you claim it is. I wouldn’t have grown up with insults such as “I don’t want to touch you. I’m afraid you’ll break” and people telling me to eat all the time even though I already had the appetite of a male teenage athlete.

• AitchCS says:

But who’s paying for the jeans?

• mamaV says:

Hi Amber: I actually get what you are saying, and I understand why these ads need to be sexy, edgy and in your face. But please, what the hell is so “cool” about having no class?

I have a ten year old daughter, and guess what– I am not hiding these ads from her, I am showing them to her so she can decide if she wants to have some class and respect for herself or if she wants to be treated like a sex object.

There is something to be said for modesty, this ad is just pathetic.
      mV

• cggirl says:

MamaV you are totally right to talk to your daughter about these things. Much smarter than trying to hide from it, because she will see it one day anyway, and thanks to you she will have some tools to deal with it.

One thing that my mom did that was really smart is open up my eyes to how things are in the world outside of my class or my peers. I was always creative and geeky and a bit odd. Also I was not very sexual at a young age. Some people naturally are but I wasn’t, and the media made it seem like I was nuts for this. My mom talked to me about how things change when you get older, that you can be the odd outsider in school
        and later be highly successful at whatever you do, and be happy the while
        time because you were true to yourself… She also explained to me that a lot if people are late bloomers and don’t really date when they are so young, and that’s perfectly fine, they do it when they are ready.

I know kids roll their eyes and I was like that too. But the bottom
        line is adults have the life experience to know these things, and can teach it to their kids. Even if the kid doesn’t seem to be listening. I was listening. And I heard that I can be myself, that I can do
        what I think is right for me, that I shouldn’t be afraid
        to try and accomplish things because I am awesome, even
        if I’m not like the girl in the magazine or the movie or the most popular
        girl in school.

Ok sorry for the long post :)

• amber says:

i didn’t say it was cool, i said it was funny. i don’t know how to TELL you how it makes sense to us but it does, as for buying the actual product- no frigging way! what i’m trying to say it-no ones going to take off their shirt because of a print add. here what i have a problem with: how old is the model? if shes 18, i really don’t care, but my age..i see your point. theres always going to be kids who whore themselves out but they aren’t the majority and it gives us a bad name.
        as for the word add…it doesn’t offend me, its a joke. i could print it out and give to anyone and they’d chuckle and never give it a second thought.

• Natalie says:

I agree with Amber. I am seventeen years old and Nylon Magizines are my favorite. The ad is influincing “us” teens to actually have fun in life and live it up while we can. Of course, I don’t go running around flashing people because I am smart enough to not be influnced by these things. Really th npeople saying tha these types of ad influnce us, it is not. That is such bull. I am pretty sure I have never met anyone who wuld do this. These are only my thoughts on this but also if yu don’t like it, don’t look at it. And Candice what false sense of fearlessness?

11. amber says:

i also want to add: all of you people are shocked and appalled? if more teens red the blog regularly the majority of comments would regard how offended we constantly are of people who think we’re so stupid that we’ll throw ourself at anything because of an add wherever it may come from. I’d like to be able to watch TV or read something GOOD but EVERYTHING is censored because of crap like this.

• hsofia says:

If this is what it takes to separate a teenager from the $90+ it costs to buy a pair of these jeans …

• amber says:

your ignorant. i clean my house, i stay after school, i serve in soup kitchens, and i help run my gsa. no wonder teenagers are so angry.

• hsofia says:

Sorry that was not meant as a reply to your comment; it was a reply to the article. Your comment was simply the last one I’d read when I hit reply so it attached somehow.

• tom brokaw says:

90 isn’t close to enough. Unless you get them at consignment, which I do recommend.

• Jacqueline says:

You really have to try a little harder. Have you tried Gutenberg.org?

I have a friend who is a librarian who laughs when people worry about what can be accessed on the internet. He says, “Do people have any idea what kind of smut we have on the shelves?” Of course, he’s joking, but only partly. Many of the books that we now consider classics are considered good because because they made people think which makes them controversial. I don’t know what you consider good, but much of that stuff is widely available today if you know where to look.

12. Shelly says:

wow. that is bad.

emailing now.

13. anonymous says:

whoa! Ok…. I understand both sides to this argument. Amber, I can understand why you might think this is funny. I am not trying to be condscending, but I was 15 once too. And yes, I turned out ok, despite battling Anorexia. I agree with you, sexting will go on no matter what parents say, no matter what Diesl says. That’s just the times, and I also agree with you and get annoyed when Mama V blames the media for everything- like a picture of a skinny model will make every teenager have an eating disorder. Such images certainly may not be a good influence, but they can not throw a person into a full blown eating disorder. That is not only my opinion, but the opinion of my therapist who happens to be advertised on her other website.

However, you must understand that some teenagers can be more influenced by these images than others and don’t always see it as joke, succumb to peer pressure, and use these ads to justify a lifestyle that most paren’ts wouldn’t feel appropriate. I don’t have kids yet, but I wouldn’t want my daughter running around town half naked living her life by the slogan that stupid is cooler than school, the same way that I wouldn’t her pasting pix of pro anna all over her wall.

Like many people have said on here, and sadly, I think they are right, (Sorry Mama V) that the firey reactions I am reading on here are precisely what these advertisers want and getting so riled up about only provokes the curiousity, the teen rebeliion and up go the sales. They target their prey to make $$$ and raise a contraversay so people will PAY ATTENTION and the kids will say- this is hillarious, while the parents are having heart attacks. This is what they want, it’s what they do. It’s a sad business, but it’s the reality. I worked in advertising in fashion magazines for years. I know what they do.

At 35, I personallly don’t really find this ad very amusing, even somewhat demeaning, but I am not very offended by it because I have the knowledge of why advertisers do what they do. That does not mean I agree with it, but business is business. If I were fifteen, I’d love anything my parents hated, and this is exactly what they are rooting for.

That being said, I think it’s important to remember that however anyone feels about these ads should not be targeted as all right if opposed or all wrong if in approval. It’s a matter of opinion and perspective. I also think it’s important to bear in mind that not every kid who sees this add is going to end up pregnant on a ladder squeezing into a pair of diesels, just not like every kid is going to see Jennifer whatever her name is on Marie Claire and wake up one day and say hmmm… I think I won’t eat today. These things don’t happen in a bubble, and I think there are a lot of other factors in why kids end up in these situations that a lot of people like to blame the media for because it’s an excuse.

But, this time, I can see the concern of parents at these images because they are extremely sexual with very young models, and let’s not forget, with teen pregnancy at an all time high. I’m not sure what the right answer is…. stand up to it and give them what they want…attention so they can sell more magazines, or just sit down and talk to your children about good values. It’s a toss up.

• Jules says:

Anonymous, teen pregnancy is not at an all time high. It has been steadily decreasing since the 90′s. There has been a recent reversal of the trend, but it’s certainly not higher than it was in the 70′s free love era. And a short term reversal does not necesarily mean that the rates will continue to increase.

Kids these days have a huge amount of resources available to them, something that wasn’t available a couple of decades ago, and they know how to access them more so than their parents do.

• amber says:

i’d like to thank for the following statement
      “However, you must understand that some teenagers can be more influenced by these images than others and don’t always see it as joke, succumb to peer pressure, and use these ads to justify a lifestyle that most paren’ts wouldn’t feel appropriate” because it makes my point. these teens aren’t the majority- they are a SMALL minority. and PARENTING means you take the magazine away, not that you ruin everything for everybody.

not trying to pick on you, it’s just my point.

and i’m aware, yes, that the child in question will probably see it somewhere else. But, if you’ve done a decent job parenting, i’m pretty sure your kids going to live.

14. Vjera says:

What about this mamaV, and all the hyperventilating folks out there:

I did a little searching to see what this Be Stupid thing is all about…. I found some other ads from this campaign showing a) a bear in the house, eating out of the refridgerator, b) dangerous Lion roaring behind a calm model photographing herself in the foreground, c) a girl with a traffic-cone worn over her head, standing in the middle of the street, d) and 11-pronged weenie roaster, catching on fire on the grill, e) guy riding the trunk of an elephant, f) guy sticking his head in a mailbox…. so basicly 95% of the campaign isn’t degrading, or sexual at all… it’s actually quite fun and silly! And how can we take the boob-flashing so literally, when all these other images are so obviously “do not try this at home” sort of things? None of these things sounds that fun to me!
    And a little more devil’s advocate here: If it’s so literal, why isn’t everyone equaly concerned with their 14 year old bringing home a bear? Or getting their head stuck in a mailbox??

Also, isn’t Diesel advertised in France and Italy too? I mean, showing a little boob in foreign magazines is pretty much standard practice! I’d challenge anyone to find any foreign blog finding as much trouble with this campaign as everyone here is….

Why can’t the US be more like Europe, elightened and not so scared of the human body. French Children see naked women on the beach all the time, and I don’t know the statistics, but I bet they aren’t all that bad of kids.

PS. I’m 25, and don’t have children, so maybe my perspective will change down the road. But I’d also be curious to find out how many of you have ever flashed someone! I haven’t. And after seeing that ad, I really don’t feel compelled to do so, any more than I did before.

Just food for thought.

• CandiceBP says:

I get what you’re saying about European attitudes toward nudity – they are definitely more relaxed than the US. However, the problem is we can’t solely liberate the girls into thinking this is no big deal when we have generations of boys and men who see this as opportunistic. If it was stylistic boob, fine – but this isn’t. This is clearly saying, “Show your boobs, it’s funny and freeing. Sure, the rest of the ads are absurd and funny – and incredibly unlikely to happen and nothing most of us have the agency to make happen… except the flashing one.

• mamaV says:

Hi Vjera: Thanks for your perspective. I lived the European scene, and it was my personal decision not to be a part of the topless culture because to me it represented a lack of respect for oneself, and it still does.

Also, this is the USA, would you agree we are quite a bit different from Europe? No drinking age over there either, and their teens aren’t going nuts getting hammered every weekend. Think about topless beaches in the States…what a scene that would be. I just don’t think we can make the “well Europe does it” arguement because this is a totally different culture.

Here is a question for you– what about the “sucks the balls, has anal. regret-less hangover” statement? Please don’t tell me this is “funny” or I might just blow a gasket ;)
      mV

• Natalie says:

Being a teenager that has not gotten hammered and crazy and shit like that. Because the teenagers who do get hmmered and party every weekend are dumbasses and can’t think for themselves. Don’t tell the world that all the teens in the us do that. Cause that is very offnisive to me and to the fact that when my sister was a teenager she actually had a problem with that, not just partying and she has gotten past that. Teenagers here drink also becuase well, tey aren’t allowed to.They think since they can’t drink yet, that they should because it is fun. I t is all apart of them wanting to mature and grow up faster. The fact that they get hammered is because they are not mature enough yet. You have a seventeen year old saying this jus to let you know.

15. anonymous says:

Jules- that’s not what I’ve seen on the news. Maybe I am wrong, but the latest report I saw on ABC said there was a very high increase. Let’s not forget the pregnancy pact??? Lifetime did make a movie about it, I believe. Maybe we watch different news, but I am just going on what I have viewed as reported. If it’s not accurate, well then, not my fault. I don’t work in statistics.

Amber, I agree with you… this is my point as well, that I think the solution is good parenting- I don’t agree with everything the media does- and I well tell you that first hand after working in it for many years. I am all for speaking out and trying to implement change, but I also know the governement has very little control over regulating these things, and like you said, it’s always going to be there whether you toss your kid’s vogue or vanity fair or Nylon or Marie claire in the fire place. It’s a hard thing for some kids to grasp when they see this everywhere and think it’s the norm, when for the most, I am in 100% agree with you do not. But I feel sometimes between this site and MV- there’s a contraversial ad and it’s like everyone goes ape shit. This ad is going to get every teen preggers and posing for playboy… this ad is going to make every teen girl ana/mia. This is why I get so frustrated with MV sometimes. There are so many more complicated factors that contribute to eating disorders and promoscious behavior. I’ve never said the media is a help, but there’s too much emphasis on it both here and on MV. No one ever says, gee… I can’t control if my kid sees this, but I’d like to know how I can talk to them about it and let them know that behaving/looking this way is not appropriate. I’d love to see more of that kind of dialogue on here instead of ignorant comments “that’s the trouble with kids these days.” Always the kids, right? What about Mom and Dad? What role do they have? Some things, while it does suck, may never change.

• Gina says:

Totally agree. This kind of hyper-sexualized advertising wasn’t around when I was a teenager but I still managed to behave promiscuously and get involved in other risk-taking behavior.

But, of course, neither of my parents would ever dream of talking to me about sex, or relationships, or values, or drinking, or drugs… or much of anything really. Except to let me know that if I were ever raped it would be all my fault, of course.

As Anonymous says, governments have very little control over regulating advertising, so why not discuss “taboo” topics with teenagers and help them to develop their critical thinking and decision-making skills?

• mamaV says:

Hi Gina: Great points, and bottomline, parents aren’t doing their job if they try and hide this stuff. I am not trying to hide it, I am saying it sends an inappropropriate message. If teens think this is just hilarious, got it. But I consider it my job to speak out about it because maybe a few of them will stop and think about having more respect for themselves.

I am totally open with my kids, my daughter is 10 and we are discussing this ad. The discussion is not about me telling her it is “bad,” it is about having an open dialouge about what she thinks about it. Sure, I tell her what I think, and I practice what I preach seeing that I was a model in Paris and never felt it was necessary or appropriate to strip my clothes off just because it was considered ok in that culture.

I am sorry your parents weren’t there for you, and your comment regarding rape is so twisted I am not really sure how to respond to it…except to say that you should pat yourself on the back for making it through with no support.

Thanks for your comments,
        mV

• Gina says:

Aw thanks!

And like Amber, I turned out okay. :-)

• Jules says:

Anonymous, you can look at this Canadian government website, which talks about Canadian and US teen pregnancy rates: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/kits-trousses/preg-gross/preg-gross-eng.htm
      It’s a little out of date (goes up to 1997), but here is another Canadian site that shows canadian stats up to 2002: http://www.sexualityandu.ca/teachers/data-6.aspx

You can’t fully trust news reports on tv because they are trying to keep up their ratings, and a headline like “Your sweet innocent children are not as sweet and innocent as you might think” gets people’s attention. And I’ve come across too many news reports that got facts all wrong to take anything they say at face value.

16. Oh my gosh. Thank you so much for their e-mail addresses – e-mailing them NOW. This is SICKENING!

17. Emily S. says:

This coming from the company that a few years ago, plastered ads everywhere showing an “edgy” photo of liposuction in action with the title “It’s worth it” (for our new denim jackets).

Lades, don’t give a cent to the Diesel company EVER. They have yet to have a single ad that even hints of female empowerment or body acceptance. Their message is – get skinny, get slutty – it’s the Diesel way.

F’ em. (I’ve had 1 too many mojitos tonight, but it’s true nonetheless).

18. mamaV says:

REMINDER: Bombarding the email of their Execs will go a long way here, please take a moment to write or call:
    Erin Hawker (yes, a woman, it should be interesting how she spins this baby)
    212-755-9200 ext 360
    Erin_Hawker@diesel.com

VP of Communications
    David Ireland
    212-755-9200 ext 344
    david_ireland@diesel.com

19. tom brokaw says:

This uproar is funny. I looked at the entire thing after work and the person who made this campaign should be given an award.

It knows its target audience and speaks to them powerfully. Since most of the angry people are parents and a bit older you may not understand why exactly it works and choose only to see how disgusting you personally find the campaign.

I don’t have kids and I’m young enough to relate a little bit to diesel’s target audience. I have also purchased diesel jeans for my gf if that means anything.

Teens or twenty something’s suffering a bit of arrested development who fancy themselves irreverent, rebellious, idiosyncratic, nihilistic and edgy, they are the customers here. The ad tells them that “hey, it’s great for you to do what the hell you want and the way you want to do it. You don’t have to do things the right way or the smart way, just get drunk and have fun. That’s what cool, attractive people do, don’t you know? Don’t you want to be cool and attractive and desirable to the opposite sex and all that good stuff?”

This is a very powerful message to teenagers and young people, because of hormones and all that. Now, in a vacuum any company can say “this is what the cool, rebellious and irreverent people with cutting edge senses of humor wear.” But it won’t do to just SAY that. You must prove it. And how does diesel prove it? Why, with the help of angry parents of course. Angry parents validate all the above qualities diesel is so desperate to attach to its brand.

Because you hate it, young people know to like it. It’s really that simple. Think of a political ideologue, left or right. I could write a book tomorrow lambasting liberals or conservatives, take your pick. How many books would I sell? In a vacuum absent the loud emotional reaction of others, very few. Now, let’s say people flooded the media demanding boycotts or just general outrage over my book, because it’s either too liberal or too conservative. This would of course be a convenient mental shortcut for people to know that, “yes, this guy really must be a true liberal/conservative! The other side is so angry, there must be something there, I must read him!”

So yes, outrage is what gives the campaign authority. Without it, the ad can proclaim “cool” or whatever qualities all day, but it will not resonate. Now some of you will say “my kid isn’t like this.” Maybe. If so your kid just isn’t part of the target audience. Your kid is probably a nerd or something. Diesel cares about your kid’s business about as much as a dolphin’s.

My advice to parents is to just ignore it. Your kids can’t afford $200 dollar jeans anyway. And if they can, why are you spoiling them so much? Bad parent.

20. myowndisaster says:

I don’t know. It’s not necessarily that I think this is funny. I don’t really. But at the same time I don’t really see it as overly shocking. Do I support it? No. As sad as it is to say this though, it’s normal. It’s what Diesel thinks will sell and really, right or wrong, that is all they care about. That is all any company cares about.

I graduate in May with a degree in business marketing. When it comes to advertising, we are taught to create campaigns that sell to the target audience. They don’t teach us to look out for the impact that the campaign will have on that audience, regardless of age. Sad? Yeah, I think so. But, it really doesn’t matter. Ads are going to continue to contain themes and images that the company and/or agency thinks will sell. It is really about who can manipulate the consumer more–from images that encourage an impossible standard to depictions of situations that are “cool”. People buy the products because, whether or not they want to admit it or even realize it, they want to personify what is in the ad.

I guess my point is, most of the people who are creating these campaigns really don’t care. At all. I’ve been shocked by the opinions of most (and by most I mean close to all) of my class mates on ads like this or similarly disturbing (semi-related) situations (not only in marketing majors but all business majors). The fact is, they don’t care. They don’t care and my guess is (as this ad clearly shows) the people currently in these positions don’t either. It is a cycle of people who don’t care about anything but money. The further I’ve gotten into this major, the more apparent this has become.

I’m not saying it shouldn’t be discussed though. I think it is great to bring this to peoples attention because maybe one day it will change. I’m not optimistic that it will but I do have a genuine hope that it does.

• Gina says:

It’s interesting to hear from someone on the “inside”. Where I live, media images are often discussed and analysed in high school – looks like there’s a greater need for those kinds of classes.

21. Anon says:

I agree that it’s taking it too far on the website with the strongly explicit statements, however the media is always going to use sexualised advertisements in campaigns and maybe it’s time we started using these as “tools” to teach morals and values, instead of getting upset and outraged about them, and never discussing them with the people they potentially affect. Sure, its not a good way to promote the message and can give particularly influential young teens the wrong ideas about what is acceptable, but as parents and guardians, isn’t it our job to teach our young adults what is right and what is wrong, and how to make good decisions when we are not around to “censor” what it is that they can and can not see.. Teenagers who are sheltered from the real world, and not encouraged to discuss sexialism and so forth end up going and having to explore these areas for themselves so they can gain an understanding of what is out there…

22. Silver says:

I understand where a couple of you are coming from, backing them up on their “smart” way of attracting their audience, but what side of the fence will you be on if these types of ads end up causing more molestation, or teen pregnancies even? Then what would your stupid marketing degree tell you? Run? or is there a loop hole for that? Understandably, it’s up to the consumer to be safe, right? that’s what your defense would be, but how would you feel if it happened to your family?

• myowndisaster says:

I’m not backing them up. My point was that they don’t care. When they are creating a campaign they aren’t sitting around asking “will these ads end up causing more molestation, or teen pregnancies?” They are asking what the bottom line is, will this sell? I’m not saying it’s right, it’s reality.

It is up to the consumer to be safe. I’m not saying companies’ have no social responsibility because they do, or at least should. I don’t know about you though, I’ve seen very few companies that show any sort of responsibility toward the public. We live in a very greedy society. Most of these companies are only worried about how to make more money. In knowing this, it is the job of the parents to make their kids aware. Just like MamaV, discussing this kind of stuff with her daughter and bringing it to the attention of other kids and parents on mamavision and this site. It worth talking about and discussing, as well as important, because letting the media be the only voice will generally lead to a negative outcome.

Oh and what is my “stupid marketing degree telling me?” Ha, I’m glad you asked. It won’t be telling me much of anything. If I do end up a marketing related job, it will not be any where near advertising. It is a very counterproductive place for me to be. My decisions, when I can actually make them, are subpar at best—my degree choice being no different. So my marketing degree will just be a piece of paper that says I can go to grad school and get to where I actually want to be (maybe).

23. Anonymous says:

myowndisaster,

THANK YOU! This is what I have said over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Nobody hears me. Bombarding these execs emails and calling them will not really do much. It truly won’t. I am not saying that people don’t exercise the right to complain…. it is most certainly their perrogative.

But this is why I get so aggrivated on here- too many people trying to change things fighting battles they unfortunately will most likely never win, rather than sit down and start where their ranting and raving might really make a difference… TALKING TO THEIR KIDS. Explaining to them that sometimes, the media sends contraversial provcative messages to make money. That doesn’t make it right, but that doesn’t mean you have to follow suit and follow these twisted things advertisers to do to make a buck.

Teaching kids about good morals and values is where it all starts- not chasing down fires one may never be able to extinguish. People here need to accept that while I don’t agree with it- the Mainstream Media is reality. They aren’t gonna change just cause a bunch of parents don’t like it. Sure, you can boycott their sales if you wish, but the hard fact of the matter is, more people will buy their jeans than not. I don’t know what people don’t get about that on here. It may be infuriating, but it’s really very simple.

Jules- my comment about teen pregnancy based on what I read is truly like 0.01 percent of the matter at hand. This whole post that started is not about debating teen pregnancy. It’s about in general, communicating to young people to respect themselves and develop stong morals and values in this day and age of racy over-sexualized mesages and finding a sense of self and not letting the media influence them.

• Jules says:

Anonymous: “my comment about teen pregnancy based on what I read is truly like 0.01 percent of the matter at hand. This whole post that started is not about debating teen pregnancy. It’s about in general, communicating to young people to respect themselves and develop stong morals and values in this day and age of racy over-sexualized mesages and finding a sense of self and not letting the media influence them.”

I’m well aware of that, but I was simply reinforcing want Amber was saying when she talked about how parents/adults think teens are stupid, when they really are not, and are way better at handling themselves than people give them credit for. Believing and spreading myths about teenage behaviour is just as harmful as the media messages people are trying to shelter them from. Go ahead, talk to your kids, but don’t accuse them of things they are not, and more importantly, LISTEN TO THEM.

24. cggirl says:

Wow. This campaign is inappropriate for kids and teens, I am shocked!!!

Also, while it’s good to encourage kids to try things and be fearless, and know that it’s better to try and fail than not to try at all, THIS seems
    to be encouraging them to do other things… Having sex for not
    so positive reasons and/or be a sex object at a young age, or underage drinking, or doing drugs… I don’t like telling young people that ts brave to be stupid. What’s wrong with being smart AND brave? Isn’t that how you can – as a young person – refrain from things that may be dangerous or that you may want to do only to fit in, while being brave enough to try out for the school play or wear things nobody else us wearing or tell that girl or boy you like how you really feel… Call me square but THOSE are the kinds of risks we should encourage kids to take.

Thanks for the post mamaV.

Ditto everything you just said, cggirl. It’s appalling, on so many levels. Make sure to have your voice heard!! Write those PR/comm people. I have STILL not heard back …

25. Nia says:

Thanks for the post MamaV. I too wonder what ever happened to being “smart AND brave?”

26. Mish says:

This is what I wrote:

Hi Mr. Ireland and Ms. Hawker,

I thought I would start of my e-mail saying what clever branding you have done with the Diesel ads.

I really appreciate as a modern, educated woman, who will potentially have children, the low level that you will expect my daughters to behave and my sons to adhere to.

I also appreciate that they can now come to your website for fantastic version of daily language skills.

I really hope that you consider the power of your companies advertisement. I recognise and realise that in an ever-changing and depressed USA economy that ‘clever’ ‘fresh’ ‘interesting’ ‘thought provoking’ and ‘tasteless’ advertising has to be used.

However, what sets apart brands from other brands is ingenuity, craftsmanship, and tact.

All of which, I am sad to say, have nothing to do with what you’re putting your name and artistic freedom on.

Sincerely,
    M.G.

1. I think that Amber has a point throughout in that most teenagers and when I thought back to being one would think it’s funny and stupid..but most likely wouldn’t go out and get Diesel Jeans etc.

2. However, there will be girls/guys who do go out and buy Diesel jeans and/or act like that because of the ‘okness’ of it.

3. I think that was in interesting in a post-feminism world is that we as women are actually moved now from using our intelligence and insight into one were being ‘sought after’ is using our sexuality and ‘stupidness’ or attract attention. It goes against the crux of the feminist movement, in my opinon, of allowing women freedom of choice where intellectual ability was celebrated.

4. I do think that sexuality, sexual marketing, pressures, etc. need to be more discussed in schools and with parents. But with MTV, Diesel and parents working all the time..when do the real discussions happen?

5. I hope that I never have girls..because I don’t EVER want them to think that this is how they must behave to get attention. It breaks my heart.

M

• mamaV says:

Hi Mich: Thank you for your effort on this, your letter hits the nail on the head.

One comment on #5, don’t be afraid to have girls. I was the same way, for the same reasons. I now have an intelligent, amazing 10 year old daughter who I know will make it through (just like we did). Our talks about this stuff are awesome, she gets it, and I believe she will continue to have respect for herself just as I always did.

Love
      mV

27. laura says:

check out the bottom of diesels website- where they have other saved magnetic poetry. regretless hangover is the least of the problems

“good head is always philosophical”
    ‘anal is brave and always regret free but head is philosophical”
    ‘good head and anal creates regret free acidents”

and i am only on page 18 of over 748.

• mamaV says:

They fact that they included the word “anal” is just asking for these types of statements to be made — I am truly shocked that Diesel has not freaked yet and pulled down this interactive tool.

Hey, maybe I’ll cruise over there and come up with the most twisted phrase I can — and send them on over to Erin and David.
      mV

28. Holly says:

I wouldn’t just write to the folks that came up with these ads, I’d write to the magazines who run the ads and the stores that sell the clothes. Boycotting these outlets has a lot more impact than complaining to marketers who are probably only reinforced by your letters.

29. anonymous says:

Mama V,

I am not shcoked that they haven’t pulled it. I am not sure why you are. I am in agreement with you that I don’t like these ads, and I think it’s great that you guys are writing to them, but you need to face reality. They don’t give a shit. Your reaction and the reaction of others on here is precisely what they want, because it creates buzz and hoopla. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t write any of you back. This is not to discourage anyone on here from speaking out about it, but I’m telling you…. writing them letters isn’t going to make them pull it. I know I am telling you all what you don’t want to hear but trust me… I know this industry inside and out having worked in it.

I did a google news search on this campagin… typed in “Diesel Jeans Be Stupid Campagin contraversery. The articles that came up that I glanced over were… I hate to break it to you- not negative and actually in favor of it calling it inventive and creative.

I unfortunately don’t know anyone in the tv industry, but I have a suggestion for all of you. Have you all considered possibly writing or calling the tv news media- things like The Today show with Meredith Viera or Like him or hate him… O’Rielly? I guarantee you he is one who would totally hop on this, at least I think he would. You might have a more rapid response by going through these channels than the manufacturer. Big companies like Diesel generally don’t like it when the media starts calling them out on their shit. No offense, but they might be more likely to respond to someone who is a known public figure to address the issue than to just the general public. It’s just a suggestion, but what do you think about that?

• mamaV says:

Hi Anon: Totally get it, totally know you are right.

Here’s the deal — why be a sitting duck? Why accept the norm and throw our hands up and say we can’t do anything?

An example of a campaign that was shut down based on blogger controversy was the Barcardi “Be Ugly”campaign. It was awesome, the Brand put their PR person outfront who made a who bunch of mistakes, which made it worse.

On this one, I will feel like I am doing something as a parent and as a woman if I fight the good fight. It’s that simple.

When it comes down to it this crap is always out there, shock value is the goal. Kids think this is cool, that’s fine, and that’s normal, but I want to make sure there is another voice out there saying this is bogus. You’re a moron to flash your boobs to a camera. It’s not cool to get bombed and have anal sex. Sexting is something that will follow you FOREVER.

I can honestly tell you that when I was a teen, I always thought this stuff was irritating and degrading. I had respect for myself, didn’t sleep around, didn’t strip off my clothes as a model, and I spoke my mind just as I do now. So, if I can impact a few individuals to think different, then I feel I have done my good deed for the day. :)

mV

mV

30. anonymous says:

I was the same way as a teen- never ever a racy promiscious kid, and I totally agree with you that you should speak out and abesolutely not be a sitting duck. While I understand why advertisers do this, I would not want any potential futrue children of mine adopting the theory that this is AOK and ALLRIGHTY! Hells freaking no.

I was just saying, since they haven’t responded yet, if Diesel doesn’t step up to the plate, going to a major news network might give you faster results. I applaud you for your passion, but if you don’t get the results that you want in a timely fashion, reaching out to TV networks to say this is uncacceptable might be the way to go.

I’m only saying this because when I came across scores of letters from angry parents written to my former boss’s at Conde Nast’s corporate advertising department at the photo shopping, the skinny squad, the overly sexualized images of young teen models… I read them all, but I couldn’t do much except feel sad and deliver them to their offices, only to see them tossed in the garbage later in the day.

My heart went out to all of these concerned parents, as well as all ED afflicted, but I knew that there wasn’t much I could do. Si Nehouse really doesn’t care- enough peeps buy his magazines. I think that’s one of the main reasons why I left that industry. The stuff they did and continue to do is not right, but I felt very powerless to change it, no matter how much I spoke out about it at the time. And trust you me- I DID. So I moved on to being a financial assistant because it gave me some distance and perspective to take a break from the things I can’t change and just be happy with myself.

I realize that as an adult, I probably have a much more mature distance from Diesel ads that a teenager would, but these ads are tasteless to our youth. If they don’t respond- I say- O’Reilly or Meredith might be the way to go.

Great Job on raising awareness!

31. ronisweigh says:

My problem with getting up in arms about this is complicated. That’s why It’s taken me so long to comment.

If we propel this into the mainstream media and make a big stink about it, Diesel and coincidentally this ad get’s seen by more and more people. Parents get outraged and Kids get inspired.

Think back to when you were a teen. If there was a controversy about something like this it made it that much cooler. Even more accepted by the generation it’s speaking to because us “old farts” are so mad about it.

When you fight against something like this it has to be done smarter. More covert. You have to infiltrate the teens and get them to see how ridiculous it is and have them take a stand against it. We aren’t the demographic these ads are targeted to. Us not agreeing with them means nothing to the advertisers or the teens.

I’m not sure if I’m making sense. I just don’t want to see the ad get more publicity then it should. I think it would be counterproductive.

32. Terry C - NJ says:

How disgusting…this country has been steadily heading backwards these past ten years when it comes to women’s rights.

And STUPID is GOOD?????? Jeezus, no wonder this country is getting left in the dust by other nations.

Appalling.

33. River says:

DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOYCOTT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. Latrisha Dohrmann says:

This really is a good website. I check the following almost every day and you might have always wonderful updates, cheers!

35. Sandra says:

Hi everyone, I am Italian and know their products as it is an Italian brand. I mean, the ownership is Italian. But curiously, the production is mainly in several third world countries, I think in Asia and North Africa.
    “Be stupid”, they say: to spend 200 $ (or more) for a pair of jeans that costs 100 times less to its producers, you need to be really stupid.
    These ads don’t lie at the end.
    Sorry for my English.

• evan g. says:

you have clearly missed the point of this campaign, and rather than try to understand it you have set out to mislead people into thinking that this is some kind of sexual exploitation.

Regardless of your inability to think first and try to understand what this campaign is really saying, you have a right to be heard.

However, before you continue to spread your ignorance via the web, maybe you should try to remember what it felt like to be young and stupid. Do Stupid things. Follow your heart, take a risk, be youthful, put a smile on your face for no reason…

As far as sex selling….unfortunately that’s the way of the world, Diesel actually mocks the fact that other retailers use sex to sell their product. Check out their new denim campaing “SEX SELLS…unfortunately we sell JEANS!”

Children are going to see sex and violence just about everywhere! It’s your job as a parent to edit and censor what your child sees, not the public, nor the community.

Besides…what the heck is a 14 year-old girl doing reading NYLON magazine??? No one is ever “subjected to an ad either” you either look at it or you don’t! Talk about lack of parenting……

Go do something STUPID!!!! You just might feel better!!!

• Jacqueline says:

She didn’t say that it had anything to do with sexual exploitation. I don’t know where you read that. She said that it’s stupid to pay $200 for a pair of jeans. Ironically, their campaign says be stupid. Get it? Don’t you have a sense of humor?

36. 1noelle says:

I love edgy, in your face campaigns that can get people fired up and take action. I can appreciate the attempt that was made here and to some degree Diesel has accomplished just what I mentioned in my first sentence. Remember the ads Kate Moss and other waif models did that had them looking like strung out whores? Oh wait….she was strung out!

We have a lot of problems in the US- gangs, teen pregnancies, bad education, drugs…..the list goes on. A company like Diesel who thrives on the revenue streams provided by these very kids should feel more responsible towards these kids.

Why not… Being Stupid…is Smart…..we all have made silly mistakes or done things that had we thought it through we may not have done BUT some of those silly and stupid things end up being absolutely brilliant correct? (I would love to cite an example here and will research one to share later)

Take risks, don’t be afraid, put yourself out there! How often when I have done just that and been called Stupid? Plenty! But I was willing and able and strong and I learned so much good and bad. Why can’t we send that message to our kids.

As far as the pictures, sex sells, yeah I get it. But it is totally and completely irresponsible for any boy or girl under the 18 to be exploited this way. If those pictures were on a 40 year old man’s computer? Why are we lowering the standards of what is morally right?

37. Jahzeel says:

OMG bunch of weirdos, you are INTENSE!

38. Blandid says:

I love this campaign for taking on ‘Don’t be stupid”. I think we have all had our share of “that’s stupid” thrown at our face. Sometimes stupid is the smartest thing to be.

39. isababe says:

Let’s not be fooling ourselves here in saying that “the message they are trying to convey is good”. If they were trying to convey a good message, they could have had adds about being different, in a good way, like – when everybody drives, I bike…OR….when everyone turns up their noses at the homeless, I bring them a sandwhich and sit down with them for a chat….that’s thinking outside the box….what they are selling here is depravity (corruption: moral perversion; impairment of virtue and moral principles) at it’s finest. there is NOTHING good about this ad whatsoever.
    oh, and btw, so because Diesel is telling us to be “stupid” (ie. do something risky because that’s what’s cool) we should stop thinking for ourselves and do exactly what they’re telling us????? makes NO SENSE…..

40. thinker says:

so, let me get this right -
    “stupid” is the new “smart”????

upon much reflection, my conclusion is no. stupid is still stupid and now, when you google “stupid” DIESEL will ALWAYS show up…..sounds about right!

41. Jacqueline says:

Well, there’s quite a bit going on here beyond the content of the add itself.

The first time I looked at it I saw it as a case of someone playing a prank, sort of the female equivalent of mooning someone. Then afterwards I thought of various calls for women to “show us your #@$*,” which I have always seen as denigrating. In our society, women’s bodies are almost always seen as sexual in a way men’s bodies are not. Although it’s hard to say in which way the person who created the image intended it, it’s probable that a large portion of viewers would not see the girl in the ad as thumbing her nose at authority so much as signaling her sexual availability.

As for the slogan, I got the joke. To some extent it is a little bit clever, although the parallel it tries to draw doesn’t hold up well on closer inspection. The smart/stupid opposition is supposed to be mirrored by the brains/balls opposition. At first it looks clever because brains and balls are both body parts with heavy symbolism. Smart is a quality resulting from a well functioning brain. However, stupid is not a quality resulting from well functioning testicles. Stupid is a quality resulting from a poorly functioning brain, testicles have little to do with anything.

Although I understand the people who say that they like the notion of encouraging young people to take risks, I’m inclined to agree with Candice and say that in a world in which being smart is often maligned, it’s really hard for me to appreciate this ad. Secondly, I question the association they make between creativity, imagination and risk taking and stupidity.

It seems to be the magnetic poetry that has really caused the association between this ad campaign and treating women as sexual objects. If they didn’t include “anal” and “balls” in the magnetic poetry it would be much harder to make something offensive. I went to the website and tried to see if I could make something in which might imply a woman being sexually gratified rather than a man, but I found that the words weren’t there. Perhaps I’m not good at magnetic poetry. At minimum, I think they should remove the word “anal” and probably the word “hangover” as well since much of their market is under the age to drink. You could turn the tables on them and go make pro-smart slogans, however. I’m surprised more people haven’t done this. Apparently, adolescent rebellion only goes so far.

Words like promiscuous, and worse yet, whore have been tossed around here. I’m not sure exactly how much sexual activity is required to be promiscuous or a whore. In some people’s minds I probably qualified as a teenager and most certainly do now. I’ve never understood why denying myself sexual pleasure is equated with respecting myself. And, yes, I’ve posed nude for photographs. That was twenty years ago and I’m glad I did it.

In that context, I should mention that I paint a lot of nudes myself and took my first life drawing class as a teenager. I have posed nude for painters much more than for photographers. This has all taken place within the world of fine art, not fashion, so the attitudes are probably very different. One photographer, a man, is probably a stronger feminist than most women I know and he was very concerned with social messages that might be conveyed by the photographs. So I have a great deal of difficulty viewing nudity itself as bad.

Generally, I’ve been concerned with the tendency to view women as sexual objects, but to me that goes hand in hand with denying their ability to be sexual actors. The problem, to me, isn’t the sex, but the fact that their sole reason for existence is to fulfill the fantasies of men. Fellatio and anal sex, after all, do more for the men than for the women.

I have a huge problem with what seems to be people equating being sexual with being dumb. Personally, what I would like to see is for young women to have confidence in themselves and what they want, to be able to resist pressure to have sex if they don’t want to, but also to be able to comfortable seeking their own gratification when they’re ready. I think feeling comfortable with one’s sexuality helps in approaching it in a way that is rational and not self-destructive.

As far as the teenagers who feel that they are being underestimated by adults, I understand their position and can recall feeling that way myself at the same age. I’m even tempted to wonder if we’re not more sensitive than they are because we, in fact, have had more years of social conditioning than they have. I questioned assumptions much more as a teenager than I do today. The young people should know, it’s not any one image or advertising campaign that concerns me so much as the preponderance of messages to which teenagers, and adults, are subjected. One ad is unlikely to affect anyone’s behavior, but many ads will make something seem normal that maybe we don’t want to be normal.

Heather, when I was in my twenties my closest female friend had been a fashion model. She told me that it messed with her head. Besides being beautiful, she was quite brilliant and she always said that she had a hard time dealing with the fact that she could never earn as much money with her brain as she could with her body, that her body was worth more than her mind. My heart goes out to you. I’m sure you had to deal with a lot of difficult stuff.

42. triptomatic says:

The Be Stupid campaign is IRONIC and funny. Of course nobody in their right mind would do any of the acts on the campaign, the same way people wouldn’t jump out of a speeding bullet train like Jackie Chan or blow up a building like Bruce Willis in Die Hard. This is IRONIC entertainment, and it’s tongue in cheek.

Honestly, I wonder if you people are mentally retarded. Yeah I said that. And you know what, your kids won’t show their boobs if you parent them. Honestly, the campaign did what it set out to do which is enrage corny old people, and make young people laugh about it. So that’s really not so stupid, is it?

43. jeans diesel says:

Stupid is smart, according to fashion house and famous jean brand DIESEL. After their provocative ads campaigns and sex sells viewpoint to hold them on the top, It’s no big surprise that their newest ad marketing “the stupid philosophy” is equally as avant garde.

44. Tommy Jumms says:

OK, here it goes; IN ORDER!
    1. there has always been a long-standing generational divide over what is acceptable, “cool” and fashionable. (This is NO exception)
    2. Education and knowledge are KEY! (I’m with stupid tends not to be quite clever when you’re aware of what thought or desire the Ad’s appealing to)
    That being said, the whole ad campaign seems closer to stupid and infantile (like much of American advertising) than it seems morally dangerous or encouraging sexual promiscuity.
    3. SOLUTIONS:
    a. Educate your children on how Ad copy is written and what different Ads try to appeal to. Remember the Tobacco Ads? “Newport pleasure” Ect. If some of those didn’t have hidden sexual innuendo, I DON’T KNOW WHAT DOES!
    b. Teach your kids two of the most important things in life: 1st that being a mindless American Consumer isn’t the most important thing in life and they don’t need to fill emptiness in their lives by going to the mall with Conformist Cathy from down the street to buy the newest Diesel Jeans, solely because the commercial/print ad looked “neato” to you!
    c. Finally, I’m convinced that the majority of the population in this nation are either too naive or too unintelligent to realize they are fundamentally unhappy. Subconsciously they try to alleviate this emptiness through blind (or at least tasteless) consumerism or they resort to promiscuity or any number of other unhealthy vices and habits. I suggest that instead of passing time on message boards such as these, devote some time to examining your families’ and your current economic, social, and political situation.

45. You’re so awesome! I don’t suppose I have read
    anything like that before. So nice to find someone with
    genuine thoughts on this subject matter. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up.
    This website is one thing that is required on the web, someone with some originality!

Trackbacks

1. [...] 4, 2010 If you didn’t read this post about Diesel’s “Be Stupid” campaign over at WeAretheRealDeal today, you [...]

2. [...] seems that advertising executives now think it’s totally cool to include teens in that whole “sex sells” marketing tool. Diesel Jeans has a new ad campaign running, called [...]

3. [...] seems that advertising executives now think it’s totally cool to include teens in that whole “sex sells” marketing tool. Diesel Jeans has a new ad campaign running, called [...]

4. [...] seems that advertising executives now think it’s totally cool to include teens in that whole “sex sells” marketing tool. Diesel Jeans has a new ad campaign running, called [...]

5. [...] the Jackanory” have skabt en del debat. Her er f.eks en kommentar fra “We are the Real Deal” til ovennævnte reklame: The pathetic part about this is the “Be Stupid” concept is a [...]

6. [...] WeAreTheRealDeal #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 25%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; } [...]

7. Premier Productions Inc. » “I’m With Stupid” Ad Campaign by Diesel, says:

[...] Even the biggest mooncalf (looked that one up in the thesaurus – smart eh) could have guessed the polarized nature of the reactions: hate it (wow, that is stupid), or love it (wow, that’s a smart campaign!) Blogger Mamavision, as you might have guessed, released a scathing post, reprimanding Diesel for attaching the campaign to “a picture of a chick flashing her boobs to a security cam,” as well as condemning the rest of the company’s overall shame (you can check out the rest of the blog here). [...]

8. [...] not everyone is excited or even happy with this campaign. From the blog We are the Real Deal: The pathetic part about this is the ‘Be Stupid’ concept is a good one, a series of [...]