Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Weight Prejudice Lessons from a girl named Bene.

January 24, 2010 by
Filed under Fat Acceptance

Thank you Vitty10 for sending a link to this video created by a biology student on the topic of Fat Prejudice.  According to Julie of Beautiful You, the Rudd Center for Food and Obesity Policy at Yale University were so impressed with this piece they have released it to the wider public.  Julie goes on to say;

From my perspective, I think it something that all parents should watch with their teen to prompt discussion about the dangers of appearance and weight based teasing and bullying and why it is paramount we all take responsibility for creating a society that appreciates and values diversity in all its forms.

After watching this video, all 17 minutes of it, I have to agree.  So, sit back, relax, and take the time to watch it in its entirety. I hope this will spur some positive FA discussion, since as Vitty10 pointed out to me, we tend to turn to the negative here on WATRD when broaching this subject (which I take responsibility for since I admit my guard has been up since getting creamed by the militants during the first month of this blogs existence).

So, time to let bygones be bygones, and learn a thing or two from this amazing kid.

-mamaV

Comments

17 Responses to “Weight Prejudice Lessons from a girl named Bene.”
  1. cggirl says:

What a wonderful video. Thanks for posting it. MamaV I hope you see from videos like this and commenters who are not as extreme that FA actually has a lot to offer. Or perhaps Size Acceptance, if you prefer a more inclusive term.

On a side note, I just have to say: this video is obviously not candid footage of those students but rather something staged. It seems to be a very nice, professional video produced by this organization.

And I think it brings up wonderful points and is very true to life. And does not in any way negate anyone’s right to try to change their weight and/or have some sort of diet/exercise plan. THIS is what HAES and SA is about for me 🙂

2. C says:

Great video. I’ve all about size acceptance already, but even so, watching this made me even more aware of what some people have to go through.

3. Beth says:

Wow. Thank you so much for posting this. Real or not it is important to share this information.

4. Hsofia says:

Watched it this morning with my daughter. I can’t imagine this isn’t scripted and professionally produced, but it’s very well done.

5. Rachel says:

That was amazing. thanks for posting it.

6. Bianca says:

Yeah, the production value makes me think it was professionally done, but it’s still a great video.

7. CandiceBP says:

Great post. I’m sure it’s scripted, but it’s still not untrue to the experience.

8. love this video. who is this girl? she rocks!

9. This is a really excellently done. However, the obvious scripting and “Fakeness” of the other students and the teachers is, I think, detrimental to the message. As though this video couldn’t get “real” mean students and teachers on tape. Which would have been easy enough to get in any school.

I don’t know – I was just turned off a little by the “After school special-ness”

Good info, good message though. Just wish it weren’t presented as something it’s not.

• Glendy says:

I completely agree, the fakeness of the scripted meaness turned me off, but I do like the message about obesity and prejudice. However, I think that many of our foods are infused with harmful addictive ingredients that are not regulated and trust me the FDA doesn’t do much about this, watch the movie Food.Inc. I guess this explains why many of our children have an addiction to sugary, fat and cheap (subsidized) products, why do you think obesity and diabetes is so high in the USA than in other countries.

I applaud this young lady but at the same time working in the fashion industry has taught me that prejudice is everywhere, your skin color, ethnicity etc. can make people treat you unfairly and unjustly. I’ve been turned down for jobs and assignments based on my ethnicity because I didn’t have the “look” We must all overcome prejudices and show the world that anyone is as good and equal as everyone else no matter how we look like and what we believe in.

Much love,
      Glendy

10. melponeme_k says:

Wonderful video. It is scripted and professional which could work against it.

Children are so cynical now and would probably rebel against the message. Not because they want to be prejudiced against weight (some but not all) but because they feel the video is trying to coerce them.

11. atchka says:

I’m with melponeme. The tormentors in real life would just laugh and laugh and laugh at this.

But despite the cheese and production value, it is no doubt valuable to girls who are going through this same situation at school. It gives them ammunition to respond and will probably teach them a thing or two that they weren’t aware of regarding weight and health.

Peace,
    Shannon

12. Bene says:

Wow… I had no idea so many people have seen this! I never been more proud of anything than I am of this video and my work with the Rudd Center. I’m so glad it has had such a positive influence! Thank you guys so much for your feedback!
    -Bene<3
    PS of course it's scripted!! do you think I could have caught that all on camera? or that bullies would be so corny? hahaha

• mamaV says:

Hi Bene! I am so glad you found us. You are an AWESOME voice for your generation, and I hope you know that there is an entire community here dedicated to stopping fate hatred, body image judgments, and any/all forms of discrimination based upon what one looks like.

Congrats on your video! You deserve all the accolades 🙂
      mamaV

• atchka says:

Bene,
      Even though it was scripted (I guess I thought you were really doing the investigative journalism thing), the message you put out there is extremely valuable and it took a lot of courage to do what you did. You’re still in high school, still experiencing the painful superficiality that plagues thousands of girls just like you, and you took your experience and did something positive with it. Not many people can do that with the negative influences in their lives.

I commend you for your work and for sticking your neck out there to spread the truth about being fat. You’re beautiful and charismatic and I’m certain you have got a future in journalism (or at least a kickass vlog).

Peace,
      Shannon

13. WendyRG says:

I found the video really powerful. It inspired me to write a long post myself. What an amazing young woman. I hope she goes far!

14. Diana Morgan says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this video…although it made me cry, I loved it! It is a courageous project!