Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Megaphone Monday

January 18, 2010 by
Filed under Self Esteem

Judy Garland once said: “Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.”

I love that quote, and think it’s one of those mantras we could all benefit from repeating.

And so, channeling the cheerleader of my youth, I thought we’d try something different here at WeAretheRealDeal this week.

Inspired by Garland’s words, I”m calling it “Megaphone Monday.”

All too often here we’re discussing the pros and cons of comparing ourselves to others.

We’re spending energy (and I choose the word “spend” deliberately), talking about our bodies, our body image, our sense of self as defined by our physical selves … and often there’s a comparing factor.

We’re debating the ups and downs of things like weight loss, weight gain, self-acceptance.

But what if we had a place where we had free reign to toot our own horn, about stuff that has nothing to do with our appearance or how we perceive ourselves ?

Take your appearance out of the equation entirely and look at yourself through the lens of someone else, a spouse, a loved one, a friend.

OK, now ponder these questions. What are YOU awesome at? What do YOU know how to do so well that others ask your help? How are you a first-rate version of yourself?

I want you to shout it out from the mountaintops!!

It might not be easy to answer; you might feel selfish or self-indulgent being honest about what you feel you’re good at.

But there’s a difference between confidence and cockiness, and recognizing some of your positive traits/personality strengths can help increase your self-esteem.

I think sometimes we need to shift the focus — move the goal-posts, if you will — to truly find true self-acceptance. And if that means looking at yourself through another lens … so be it.

I’ll raise my hand and start. I have been told I’m compassionate, a people-person,  and a good writer. And I try to live those attributes every day.

So … will you join me on this Megaphone Monday? Tell us something awesome about yourself in the comments, and don’t hold back!

Comments

24 Responses to “Megaphone Monday”
  1. beautifuldancer says:

I’ve survived 2 brain surgeries after DIAGNOSING MYSELF with a rare disease that some of the smartest doctors couldn’t figure out and i was ONLY 17! Through all that I lost BOTH my grandmothers, my great aunt and my pastor within the same 8 months while my disease caused me to gain 20 pounds, suffer from depression and be put on a bunch of medications.
    My first brain surgery interfered with my senior year of high school (which I did at home) but I returned and STILL graduated as a distinguished honor grad (in the minority of my class). So I’d say I’m a pretty tough cookie!

Not too shabby for a girl just shy of 20 😉

2. beautifuldancer says:

P.S. i think the whole idea behind “Megaphone Monday” is awesome! It’s about time we focus on why we LOVE ourselves!

3. Stephanie says:

I am extremely creative. I come up with awesome ideas all the time, especially brainstorms for my work. The problem is I then want all these things to happen RIGHT NOW!
    BODA weight loss

Thanks for sharing, Stephanie!! I’m impatient that way, too … lots of ideas and I want them to come to fruition STAT! I often say, “If patience is a virtue, I must be a huge sinner.”

4. heart says:

Years ago, I had a boss who was a micromanager and insecure (despite being quite intelligent & knowledgeable) and generally annoying, but she once gave me the very kind gift of telling me that I am resilient. She was right, I am. I take a lot and keep going. It makes me proud to feel strong.

Thanks, Gina.

5. Catgal says:

I’m funny.

And if you guys like this, we can make it a recurring theme 🙂

• beautifuldancer says:

Thanks to everyone who commented on my story! And yes this should DEFINITELY be a recurring Monday thing Lissa! Great idea!

7. CandiceBP says:

This is definitely hard to do! As I sit here, I keep going, “No, I can’t say that; it sounds stuck up.” We really are so conditioned to be overly modest about our abilities.

I’m really good at reading people – knowing when they’re uncomfortable in a conversation or displeased with me.

8. Sarah says:

I’m going to graduate in less than 6 months with a degree in Engineering! I recognize that I am smart and capable, and that I can do anything I put my mind to!

9. mkd says:

Great idea! I love reading the things that other women are proud of! You aren’t stuck up—you are self confident! Acknowledge your skills and talents!

I know how to be a fabulous hostess. I know how set the stage for a good party and how to make people feel comfortable. I am good at organizing and bringing together people from different social sets for a cocktail party, dinner for 10 or picnic for 4. I love entertaining and watching people have fun together.

Congratulations to all the resilient women out there!!

10. Oh Thank You for this opportunity! I SO believe in what you wrote about self-acceptance learning to accept ALL parts of us. That is what I try to write about.

All I have ever wanted to do was inspire and uplift others by sharing of myself. To change a bad childhood into a positive!
    To help others discover and move toward their own potential.
    I am kind, loving, a GREAT listener, loyal friend, good Mom.
    I am creative in my ideas, especially when it comes to helping others. That is the fabulous me – in a few words!

11. mamaV says:

Very fun post Lissa! I too LOVE reading what others have written here…and beautifuldancer blew me away.

Ok here is mine:
    I am an awesome mom, wife and daughter. I drop anything and everything for my family. If my kids want to tell me something, I sit down, right then even in the midst of total chaos to look them in the eye and listen.

My enthusiasm and positive attitude was inherited from my amazing parents, and my ability to tell people like it is has been a valuable quality my entire life.

I’m giving, always giving away time, money, energy for others. Its a great way to live…and it always comes back to you tenfold.

mamaV

12. Patty says:

Why it this so hard for so many of us? I spent a lot of time thinking about this post, and I came to the realization that I tend to diminish my strengths by saying/thinking I’m just “good enough”. I rarely realize that I am GOOD, period. Now I WILL say I am a GOOD parent, a GOOD teacher, a GOOD writer, and a GOOD listener. We really should recognize our strengths so we don’t hide them, but use them to help others. Thanks for the food for thought!

13. What a wonderful post!

It makes me sad to hear so many women bashing things about themselves so often. I am trying hard to get better about speaking up about it, too. A co-worker (who is very thin) was saying this morning she was becoming a “piggly wiggly.” I told her that was NOT true – she is perfect just the way she is now.

Hmmm…I think the thing I love most about myself is my heart. Don’t get me wrong….I can have a temper, too. 😉 But I would do ANYthing for those I loved, and I try to show it as often as I can by my actions.

LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing all the responses! 🙂

15. love2eatinpa says:

wow, this was a hard one! i am not so great with self esteem.
    i did come up with one thing. i’m really great at keeping my plan to work out. i go to the gym four days a week and nothing gets in my way. if something comes up that i can’t get there, then i will workout out on my treadmill at home.