Sunday, December 4, 2016

I’m not hungry, so why am I still eating?

January 8, 2010 by
Filed under Binge Eating

I have been using the Sensa Weight-Loss System for a little over a month now, (I won a 6 month supply at a Twitter party last year). It has definitely curbed my appetite. It’s as if my body has no particular desire for food. Amazing right? Problem is I am still eating! “What?” you say. Well, even though my stomach says, “Hey, no thanks, I’m good.” My mind is saying, “Yeah, but I need that item. I really need it to make me feel better right now!” What’s up with that?!

You’ve probably heard the term emotional eating before. Well, I have too. Though I always thought of it as pertaining to sweets and other things with major sugar. Like having a pint of cookie dough ice cream when your boyfriend breaks up with you, or something like that. And since I am not a big sweets kind of person, I didn’t really think that I fell into that category. But having my appetite taken away with Sensa this past month has been a real eye opener. And what did I see when I opened my eyes? Me, EATING! It seems that I am indeed using food to fill certain voids, whether it be emotional-my heart, or physical-when I am tired. On more than one occasion in the past few weeks I have come to the kitchen in search of something, apparently not to nourish my body, but to soothe my heart. I never really thought much of it before, especially since I wasn’t reaching for ice cream or pie. But emotional eating isn’t about what you are eating, but why you are eating it.

My trigger food is popcorn. Whenever I get stressed out I need to chew. I make a big bowl of air popped popcorn and just go to town. God help my children if they try and reach in my bowl, they cold lose a finger! I have been really stressed lately; however, when I make my usual bowl of Popcorn and sprinkle my Sensa on it, I don’t goto town as usual. In fact, I have a hard time eating all of the popcorn period. My body just doesn’t want it. Great! Problem is my mind and my heart are still unsatisfied.

So it seems that I need to find different ways to placate myself when I am feeling out of sorts. New ways to soothe and comfort my soul. I haven’t figured it out yet, but I am working on it. I am journaling more, sleeping more, and cleaning a lot. Well, not cleaning exactly. More like organizing. I am feeling a need for some order. (Can you say CONTROL!) Amazing what you can uncover when you take away the hunger. You find out what you are really and truly starving for.

I guess I’ll leave the popcorn for my kids.

SMILE On!

Miss Lori

Miss Lori can be found Musing from her Minivan at MissLori.TV , Wearetherealdeal.com , YoungChicagonista , and ChicagoMomsBlog. She is also the new Chicago Family Entertainment Blogger for Examiner.com and a Discussion Leader for MomsLikeMeChicago. You can also see her Activating to Be Great at Miss Lori’s CAMPUS on Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Comments

19 Responses to “I’m not hungry, so why am I still eating?”
  1. McLauren84 says:

Interesting post. I’ve always wondered how much of my overeating is related to hunger vs. emotional eating, so it’s interesting that you’re exploring that problem is a controlled setting to really observe it fully. Do you mind if I ask how you’re liking the Sensa program?

• MissLori says:

So far I am finding the Sensa Weight-Loss program to be incredibly easy. I can’t say that I have lost any weight as of yet, because I am allergic to scales, but I definitely feel the loss of my appetite as I said in the post. It’s really amazing. And thus Sensa has given me more than a diet, it has given me the chance to really analyze my relationship with food, which will help me even more in the long run.

2. ronisweigh says:

I struggle with this. I almost always have the desire to eat. . . ALWAYS. I can be stuffed from a 10 course meal and still want to munch just because it’s there. And if it’s not there I seek it out. Some of us are born with the full switch, some of us aren’t.

I do find the desire lessened when I eat more whole foods and less processed crap. It’s why I care about what I eat so much.

Amen … emotional/mindless eating is my #1 problem. And it’s not always related to sadness/anxiety/stress. Sometimes I just “want” to eat. Period.

• Gigi says:

Seriously! Im a size 4 – 5 ft 6 and about 138 or so – not overweight but the eating is out of control! I just want something ALL the time and I can feel that I shove it in sometimes barely tasting it. I eat healthy before going out with friends telling myself I’ll just get a tea and then I end up eating a whole other meal with them almost immediately afterwards. I feel out of control. Any help….

3. WendyRG says:

Great post. You inspired me to write my own, which will appear on Monday.

I have never considered myself and emotional eater, but you’ve made me think about satisfaction and why I do end up eating more than my body really wants in my search for “satisfaction”. Maybe that old Rolling Stones song should be my theme song…

4. love2eatinpa says:

I so understand where you are coming from, it all resonated with me. We all know the tricks to staying out of the kitchen, but when the urge is there, we have a one-track mind – “must get food”. It’s really hard to be introspective, figure out what the issue(s) is and then do something about it. good for you for realizing you have something more to deal with and are working on it!

5. beautifuldancer says:

Well there are MUCH worse things you could be chewing on! Good luck with finding a more constructive way to fill your inner voids though. I need to work on that sometimes too.

6. FatNSassy says:

Sigh! ALL reducing diets and weight loss programs encourage obsession with food. It is both psychological and physiological. It is psychological in that what is forbidden to us becomes more appealing. It is physiological because our bodies all have a setpoint, a weight range it wants to keep. If you go too far below your setpoint your body will always demand its desired fat back. PERIOD! It is truly sad that this information has been out for decades, in such books as The Dieter’s Dilemma, yet we are still clueless. MSM is not going to hand this info to us on a sliver platter, its purpose is to make money for its sponsors. We have to grow up and research the evidence ourselves. We also have to realize that for many women, biology intended them to be heavier than media standards. You can either make weight loss your number one obsession and deal with an eating disorder for the rest of your life, or you can regain your power by listening to your mother (NATURE!)

• LWAGal says:

I agree with your statement! My problem is a hand-to-mouth issue. What I find interesting is how I can study, read a book, and type this post — all while eating… just because I can. The diets work for folks to change their lifestyle which also requires a face-to-face with what is really making me eat. My eating isn’t emotional because I don’t eat when I’m upset or something is bothering me. I eat because I can. I smoked for 40 years and kept thin (it provided the hand-to-mouth exercise). Now, I no longer smoke and have replaced it with food… ;o(

7. wriggles says:

I find the way you see eating interesting. I can’t quite get why you’d think merely interrupting your eating signals would get rid of your need to eat.

Your body still needs to function and what you are doing is perceived as a threat. I doubt it’s emotional, more your survival instincts kicking in.

Like a lot of people you seem to see eating more via the addiction model than that of necessary to life.

The desire to eat is not concentrated in either, mind or body, if you disrupt one, the other takes over, if it didn’t, it’s hard to see what would stop you starving to death.

That might sound stupid, but you only have to look at what happens to those people who are born without the ability to feel pain to see what happens when there is not much of an imperative to pull your finger out of the fire.

8. living400lbs says:

Is it that you don’t have appetite, or that you don’t have hunger?

For me the distinction is that appetite is a want, hunger is a need. They often go together — but not always. Two experiences showed me how they can differ:

I’d eaten, I felt full but wanted to try a bite of something that smelled delicious? That’s appetite without hunger.

I was sick, hadn’t eaten for a few days due to nausea, felt very empty inside, and was cajoled to have a sip of Gatorade and a cracker and couldn’t stop eating crackers and Gatorade? That was hunger, without appetite.

9. Lampdevil says:

Me, I COULD eat all the live-long day (Or at least 75% of the live-long day), but I make the active decision to not do so. Either there’s nothing I want to eat accessible, or intellectually I know that eating something will just upset my stomach and leave me feeling cruddy. I don’t deny my appetite; If I’m hungry, then there’s probably a good reason for that. I ought to eat something. Food fuels the body, and an empty stomach will get me about as far as a car without a tank of gas. But there’s no need to overfill the tank, either. And not eating the entire bucket of ice cream in one day means that there’s ice cream for tomorrow, and the day after, and some on the weekend, and…

I do realize I’m lucky that my hunger/satisfaction signals are relatively easy to interpret. And Roni, maybe it does have something to do with… not even so much eating shiny-happy-whole-foods, but eating things that are actually good and satisfying. Processed crap is… crap. Doesn’t stick with me. And so many pre-packaged things just taste… FUNNY to me, now that I’ve made such concerted efforts to cook from scratch and eat ‘well’.

We get so, so out of joint with our real hunger. Our hunger is demonized, or fetishized. We eat for the pleasure of it, and then weep and rend our clothes as though we’re sinners in need of absolution. I wonder if we can ever get to where food is just food.

10. happybodies says:

I guess my question is, if your body needs fuel to function, why don’t you want it to tell you when it needs food?

11. cggirl says:

Hmmm… I am glad for you that you’re finding out interesting things about yourself.
    And I am not even sure if I should say this because I don’t want you to feel like I’m being unsuppportive – I wish you all the success in the world in your quest for health. But from a place of wanting to be helpful – every fiber of my being tells me sensa is a scam. In fact, I am pretty sure it’s a reincarnation of other things (Sprinkle Thin) that were taken off the market due to false claims. Things that are not proven effective in double blind studies aren’t really effective. And things that are marketed as supplements don’t need FDA approval which means they don’t have to prove they are effective, or even safe, before they can be sold.

• Miriam Heddy says:

You’re right, cggirl. It’s a scam, as ABC News (20/20) reported on here:

It’s really disturbing to see a product like this (one that takes advantage of fat-phobia) being endorsed at this site (and Lori’s “I’m using this. It worked!” is a testimonial for a product, complete with the company’s product placement graphic and link to the site).

As ABC News reports, Dr. Hirsch, who supposedly “studied” this product, did not have his study peer reviewed or published. And the weight loss was self-reported (and not double-checked) after 6 months while the people in the study paid to participate! (which breaks protocol in a serious way).

Countless studies (actual peer-reviewed ones that have held up to scrutiny as Hirsch’s study doesn’t) have demonstrated that having purchased something influences our perception of the product’s value (hence Hirsch’s getting study participants to pay makes sense even as it’s scientifically unsound).

And actually *suffering* in the process of getting or using a product or service also causes us to perceive it as more valuable. Hence fraternity hazing and club buy-in fees both work to increase the bond an applicant feels to the group they’ve joined, which is partly why Weight Watchers (and other diet clubs) have membership fees and operate as a social club for shared pain. These effects do not mean the products themselves work.

Good scientists recognize that effect and a good study would not pay its participants nor rely on self-reporting, nor would a good scientist claim peer review to sell a product that has already been on the market in the past under a different name. And if the science were good, the company would have published the studies rather than featuring abstracts on their site.

I’ve occasionally peeked in at this site because a number of smart Fat Acceptance advocates I know have persisted in trying to make it work, and I value their effort and do believe that it’s possible for women to come to FA and HAES in small steps and that should be encouraged, even though I don’t often have the energy to slog through the pro-diet emphasis of this site.

Yet this post goes far beyond what’s usually here in the way of diet-selling. Miss Lori tells us the product works but that she is at fault.

Sound familiar? It should. This is the narrative of every diet product ever!

We are, as a general rule, encouraged to believe that all diet products would work really well, if only we were sufficiently compliant and/or ready for them and/or better people.

Using science (Miss Lori’s link to “emotional eating”) while not looking critically at the science around this product is problematic and even irresponsible if it causes others to buy into the scam and, as Miss Lori does, blame it on their own personal psychology rather than the fact that the product is a hoax.

I would respectfully encourage the bloggers here to consider how Miss Lori’s endorsement of diet products fits in with the WATRD ethos or works to end body shame.

12. katherine says:

i think there’s something wrong with your hypothalmus. go to the doctor and have them check it.

13. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your article.. Any ways ..Keep up your good work.