Friday, October 21, 2016

Bring on 2010!

January 1, 2010 by
Filed under Self Esteem

Onward and upward!

I don’t know about you but I am welcoming in the new year like no other.

For me, the economy has been a major fear factor I have not experienced, and like my dad says “fear is the greatest motivator.” My husband and I started our own business in 2008, and 2009 was rocky as hell. Fingers crossed people start spending  this year — my hopes are high!

On to the resolutions!

Nothing is out-of-bounds here, so no slamming those who post the are “dieting” or looking to “lose weight.”  To each her own ok gang?

For years my resolution was to not be late, a habit that kicked in after having kids. I was always one of these people who was early or on time to the minute. As the years ticked on, I started making excuses for myself, justifying that it was ok to be 10 minutes late, then 15, then what the hell make it a half hour. Until one day, I caught Dr. Phil reaming out this woman, and stating “Your time is more important than everyone elses? Do you know how arrogant that is?”  Whoa…never saw it that way, that knocked me way back a few notches for sure.

So, I’ve pretty much conquered my lateness (with a few slip ups here and there). What to do this year?

I wouldn’t think these words would ever come out of my mouth, but I’m going to say “to believe in myself.” (yes, even mamaV, the rash-in-your-face chick that is usually no-holds-barred loses her confidence once in a while). This is a new feeling for me, one I believe stemmed from getting fired a few years ago. The firing was due to my unwillingness to sacrifice my integrity, the event is something I am quite proud of today (especially since I kicked the company’s ass in the aftermath), but yet this little insecurity still tap-tap-taps me on the shoulder more often than not as I venture out on my own running my own business (ironically this event is what pushed me to finally have the guts do go out on my own — everything happens for a reason you know?)

Another aspect of my life that put my confidence on the rocks was this blog.

It sure hasn’t been easy. Out of the gates I put myself right out there, and I got hammered into the sand. This was something I wasn’t expecting or prepared for whatsoever. This reaction made me question my words, something again that I am not at all used to, and the feeling was not a good one — but perhaps something I needed to experience.

What did I learn from this? I learned that at times I could be softer, gentler, kinder….and for that I am grateful to have gotten kicked in the face. But I also learned that I say what I mean, and that I am a leader who helps others say what they want to say when they don’t have the guts to do it themselves. This is a quality within my self I have always been proud of, now I am going to work at doing this in different way since I have already learned the softer, gentler approach can be more effective (no promises though — the crazy beast will likely rear its head from time to time!! 🙂

So thats it — I am going to get my mojo back. I want to be solid as a rock as I used to be.

How about you ladies? I hope you are looking deep this year, beyond the surface, and into your psyche to pick a trait that will really help you in the long run. Pick something that will be hard as hell to master. Challenge yourself. When we talk in 2011, you’ll be standing taller for it ( and if this “trait” happens to be getting control of your eating habits or finding discipline in your workout routine — good for you, you’ll find no judgments here!)

Finally, I just want to say, from the bottom of my heart – thank you.  This site means the world to me, and I hope it helps put meaning into your life as well.

Onward and upward to 2010!

PS If your resolution happens to be to give to others, consider donating to our fund drive for the National Eating Disorder Association. Any amount you can give is greatly appreciated! Donations have been super slow this year, which is totally understandable with the economy, but if we all throw in $5-10 bucks we can make our goal of $500! THANK YOU!

No Responses to “Bring on 2010!”
  1. FreeEternally says:

I want to learn to love my body. Not to see it as something to be destroyed, or fought against. Rather, something to love and care for so it can take me to the places I want to go.

• mamaV says:

Well you are in the right place FreeEternally! It takes work, but I found the more you surround yourself with others with positive body image, it starts to rub off.

I like how you stated you feelings about your body something to be “fought against.” Think about how totally preposterous that is! Yet our society acts like its normal

One thing you may want to try if you haven’t already, is to keep a journal. You don’t have to write everyday, maybe just on the bad days. It helps me figure out what is really going on when I feel bad about myself.

Great to have you here!

2. cggirl says:

I want to be more relaxed and easygoing.

I want to accomplish new and interesting things both at work and in my personal projects.

Also I want to be as healthy as I can physically without making myself LESS healthy mentally. 🙂 I think that’s a good balance.

• mamaV says:

Good luck with that cggirl! You are taking a lot on!

Your last part about being physically healthy while maintaining mental health really resonates with me. I don’t know about you but I always over do it, then end up getting sick, then my physical and mental health goes down the tubes. I need to learn when to stop.

3. Aisling says:

I want to stop trying to control every aspect of my life, because maybe there is beauty in chaos.

I want to stop wasting my life searching for happiness, and just let myself live, maybe happiness is staring me in the face but I spend too much time looking to truly see.

I want to stop trying to mend my broken past and instead build my future.

• mamaV says:

Hi Aisling: Have you ever tried meditation? Its hard as hell, at least for me because I have an anxious personality, but there is a concept called “mindfulness” that may help you.

Basically, it means being in the moment, but you learn techniques to really help you do this. The tapes I use are from John Kabot Zinn, here is a link to the ones I use:

I like his approach because he runs a stress clinic, and I feel like he “gets it” because he relates to American life.

Also, this is a good book by him too. It has daily things to ponder that I really enjoyed, and the title is kind of funny “Whereever you go there you are”

Take care!

4. cggirl says:

Aisling that’s a good idea about searching for happiness and that maybe it’s staring you in the face…

I was also thinking something I should try to do – even though it sounds cliche – is be thankful. Spend more time and energy appreciating what I have, rather than focusing so much on the negative.

Cggirl that’s something so many of us struggle with — being thankful for what we have. We say it, but don’t necessarily believe it or practice it. I know I’m guilty of this, so it was good to hear it that way.

5. Brandie says:

I intend to (finally) overcome my binge eating. I also intend to get my BMI back down into the “normal” category. I’ve put on 22lbs since I lost my job in May, partly because of my binging, and I’m not happy. I know I can be healthier than this.