Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Winslet’s Body Best, Say Girls

December 30, 2009 by
Filed under Body Image

I was flicking through the Sun Newspaper (UK) and I found an article that threw me a little. It threw me because I have been waiting for something like this to happen for so long, for people to realize that there is a healthier way to be and people will not look down on you for it. They applaud it. Well done, to a glamorous woman who is truly beautiful inside and out.

But skeletal stars Victoria Beckham and Kate Moss finished BOTTOM of the poll – alongside top-heavy model Jordan. Former Casualty actress Rebecca Wheatley, 44, who won Slimming World woman of the year after shedding half her body weight down to 12 st, believes there is a shift in people’s perception of what is attractive.

She said: “It is fantastic to see women aspiring towards a healthy body shape that is realistic and achievable. Kate Winslet has always spoken out about the importance of accepting your body.”

Other curvy stars were also high up in the poll. Former bond girl Halle Berry was third followed by Cheryl Cole, Beyonce, Megan Fox, Lily Allen and The Sun’s page 3 star Keeley Hazell, in the quiz of 2000 women’s image of the perfect body. She added: “It suggests that it is not being “Skinny” that is most important – it’s being healthy.”

Story and comments made by Sun Readers can be found here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2787752/Kate-Winslet-has-the-most-admirable-celebrity-body.html

What do you think? Progress maybe?

Nats

Comments

35 Responses to “Winslet’s Body Best, Say Girls”

I LOVE this news and this post. I’ve always loved Kate’s feminine yet fit figure and am really happy to see that those stick-thin models’ figures are not too desirable, at least in British culture. I hope that body love for curvier figures that the Brits are showing will cross the pond!

2. Forestroad says:

Yeah, and looking like (white, able-bodied, conventionally attractive, thin, cisgendered) Kate Winslet helps. I agree, Kate Winslet is gorgeous, but I’m not sure this is progress so much as moving the goal posts a little. Also, who won these polls in previous years? Who was even included? What were the margins?

I don’t know when the goalposts moved (my guess is the late 90s early 2000s), but think the very fact that Kate Winslet isn’t a size 0 and doesn’t try to be — but is being recognized for having one of the most coveted figures in Britain — is a *huge* step in the right direction.

• Forestroad says:

I dunno, she may not be a size 0 but she’s had her share of “dramatic weight loss” magazine stories over the years as well. I remember being disappointed when she shed her voluptuous figure after Titanic. I guess I don’t feel like the size 0 backlash is all that new–for as long as I can remember size 8 has been the aspirational size of most of my peers. Maybe when America Ferrara (admittedly probably not much more than a size 8) wins one of these polls I’ll feel like we’re making progress.

• Laura says:

Thank you for bringing up the part that everyone forgets…

“white, able-bodied, conventionally attractive, thin, cisgendered”

(I would modify white to anglo-featured, to emphasize that even the women of color who make it in the media tend to be those with “white” features)

Yes, we can come up with exceptions for almost every category. (So don’t bother replying with, “but what about that one woman?”) That’s the problem– They are exceptions. When it comes down to it, the vast percentage fit the categories quoted above.

Whomever you wish to blame for the status quo, that’s not my point. You can blame the producers or casting agents or the audience for buying the magazines and movies that portray people we love to hate. It’s a cycle, people. It’s a relationship of demand and reinforcement. We’ve demanded more women of size and women of color in media– and we got a few tokens back. They still fit most of the above categories, but most people like to call it even.

I would like to see more than one Deaf star, and more than a handful of women who are beautiful (or not!) in unconventional ways, but whom we respect *for their acting chops.*

I would still like to see the actresses who happen to fit the categories above, but again– because of how well they do their jobs, instead of their ability to fit a mold.

3. CandiceBP says:

On one hand it’s upsetting that Kate Winslet is a size 6 (8 at most) and this is considered revolutionary. But, that said, when most actresses are a size 2, it does make a difference. If nothing else, it’s a move in the right direction.

In addition, she speaks out about negative body image in Hollywood and even took a magazine to task for photoshopping her and making her look thinner and leggier than she is. She might be a very standard Hollywood beauty (blonde haired, blue eyed, white, able, etc) but I admire her willingness to address these issues.

4. wriggles says:

We have to be careful not to marginalise or do down those who are thin. Calling Victoria Beckham and Kate Moss ‘skeletal’ is unecessary and uncalled for. There is nothing wrong with the way they look.

It shouldn’t be about favouring one group over another, or making one size more acceptable than another, we can celebrate all sizes and types without making some feel their bodies are unacceptable.

• Joy Manning says:

I don’t think it’s marginalizing these women to point out that they are unnaturally thin. It is a step in the right direction to acknowledge that they are. We are so bombarded with images of artificially thin women, most of whom go to extremes to maintain their thinness, that that image looks normal and healthy to many people. I’m less familiar with Victoria Beckham, but eating disordered behavior and drug abuse have long accounted for Kate Moss’ appearance.

• mamaV says:

Hi Wriggles: The problem I have with Kate Moss is she makes pro-anorexia statements like “Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.”

For cripes sake, she is a “role model” whether we like it or not — so the impact of her statement is immense (at least in my world where I see thousands of girls flocking to her and others like her — Ashley twins for example).

There IS something definitely wrong with what she looks like, and we should in no way be pretending she is healthy in any shape size or form.

Here’s a link to a recent post I wrote about her, complete with an image of her statue of pure gold, with her in a ridiculous yoga pose, which resides in a museum in the UK. Are you kidding me!!

Sorry if I sound harsh, this topic is really, really close to my heart!!
      mV

• wriggles says:

You don’t sound harsh as such because I understand the context in which you feel this way. I think your efforts in this area are admirable.

However we are probably going to have to agree to differ on this one as I think this attitude to any body type is counterproductive.

As for pro-ana, as I keep saying dieting is a mimicry of proto- that is the early stages- of anorexia. A lot of so called diet ‘advice’ is pro ana. i.e. take every opportunity to be active, put ‘thinspiration’ pictures up on your fridge to stop you eating, just stop eating etc.

Her full answer by the way was;

‘Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels’. “You try and remember, but it never works.”

That’s the the truth, it doesn’t work. I think people missed a trick by not playing that part up.

• Gina says:

Kate Moss has been photographed snorting coke, a habit which no doubt helps to maintain her “waifish” figure and contributes to her awful skin.

Kate Winslett, on the other hand, has always had beautiful skin, probably because she eats a healthy diet.

5. missyrayn says:

I love this. Kate Winslet and other Healthy looking women are my favorites.

6. Mish says:

It’s awesome. I was reading an article about Jenna Fischer about her weight loss. About 10 pounds over 5 months with just healthy eating and exercise. So refreshing to see this. Thanks for sharing this.

7. sleepydumpling says:

Kate Winslet is the most exquisite woman, beautiful, intelligent, funny, talented, honest and boy can she rock a frock! She just embodies all that is feminine and womanly and lovely to me.

8. Trenia says:

I’m just wondering on what planet is Kate Winslet considered curvy? Certainly not this one we’re all living on. Kate is thin and all of the other women smaller than her in Hollywood are thinner, but that doesn’t make her curvy nor voluptuous.

• Jeanne says:

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Voluptuous? Hardly. She’s a little bigger than most model/actresses but not much. Betty Page, Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth = voluptuous. Not Kate.

Of course those women have something else in common, they (and their beautiful bodies) were famous a very long time ago. Which proves mainly that the media’s ideal shape of woman’s body changes over time and is somewhat arbitrary

9. Carmel says:

I think she’s naturally gorgeous, but I think a REAL step in the right direction will be when we don’t publicly ‘score’ the attractiveness of women’s bodies at all.

Carmel, that is definitely something to strive for but sadly, I don’t think that will ever be the case. As a society, we tend to judge too much — even if it’s not done in poor taste.

10. Allison says:

I dunno, I thought she was a smoker. Doesn’t sound too healthy to me…

11. I think we’re all missing the boat here. The ideal body type is the one you’ve got. Putting any type up on a pedestal immediately others differing types. We’re focused on the wrong things – it’s not the body type that is admirable, it’s the behaviors/attitudes that we should aspire to. What I mean is – being skinny isn’t a bad thing (many people are that way naturally) but starving yourself or over-exercising to get there is NOT a good thing. Likewise, being curvy isn’t “better” – embracing your own shape no matter what is certainly is better.

For that reason alone, I salute Kate Winslet (and I have to admit that I absolutely adore her) for being a voice of reason on this issue. But having the “most desired body”? Not helpful.

12. maggie roper says:

i like kate winslets natural look.

13. hsofia says:

Kate Winslet is beautiful, but maybe no one should be an “ideal” body type. Also, Halle Berry is a very very tiny woman. And also, not all women have large round breasts (in relation to the rest of their body). You can be flat chested with a flat ass and still be healthy and womanly. I don’t like this dichotomy of “curvy” vs. THIN. Plus, the same media that talks about what “real” or “natural” bodies look like regales the public with tales of size 0 stars’ exercise and eating habits. This is a sick game they’re playing.

• Simone says:

Here, here! And you can have breasts but no ass! Or an ass but no breasts! Or neither, and thick curvy legs! Or whatever. It’s all good.

14. Simone says:

Also, can we all admit that looking like Kate Winslet is *not* attainable for everyone? Yes, it’s true that trying to get to size 6 is less likely to kill you than trying to get to size 0. But I really wish there weren’t this implication that every woman on the planet could get down to a 6, or even an 8, 10, etc.

I know I would have to go to heroic lengths to be as thin as Kate…

15. aakash says:

Kate Winslet’s face and her body best of this milky way till date no one can compare with her

16. Isaac Harrison says:

even if Kate Moss is short, she has that unique pretty face:~*

17. Inflatable Bed  says:

kate moss got wasted because of too much drugs”.,

18. kate moss is still one of the most beautiful faces in the modelling industry,`’

19. Megan Ally says:

Kate Moss is a very petite model but she is of course a very beautiful woman ~-“

Trackbacks

1. ‘celebrity quiz’ on the web « Producing and the American Man says:

[…] http://watrd.wordpress.com/2009/12/30/winslets-body-best-say-girls/Curvy Kate Winslet has the celebrity body British Women desire most, claims a survey. In a triumph for fuller-figured women the Hollywood star, 34, just pipped equally shaped TV Presenter and model Kelly Brook into second place. But skeletal stars Victoria Beckham and Kate Moss … Former bond girl Halle Berry was third followed by Cheryl Cole, Beyonce, Megan Fox, Lily Allen and The Sun's page 3 star Keeley Hazell, in the cheap domstic flights from Port Macquarie to Adelaide quiz of 2000 women's image of the perfect body. … Filed under: Uncategorized Comments Off Comments (0) Trackbacks (0) ( subscribe to comments on this post ) […]

2. ‘celebrity quiz’ on the web « Disparate Musings of a McDonalds Worker says:

[…] http://watrd.wordpress.com/2009/12/30/winslets-body-best-say-girls/Curvy Kate Winslet has the celebrity body British Women desire most, claims a survey. In a triumph for fuller-figured women the Hollywood star, 34, just pipped equally shaped TV Presenter and model Kelly Brook into second place. But skeletal stars Victoria Beckham and Kate Moss … Former bond girl Halle Berry was third followed by Cheryl Cole, Beyonce, Megan Fox, Lily Allen and The Sun's page 3 star Keeley Hazell, in the cheap flight Gold Coast to Emerald quiz of 2000 women's image of the perfect body. … Filed under: Uncategorized Comments Off Comments (0) Trackbacks (0) ( subscribe to comments on this post ) […]

3. Winslet's Body Best, Say Girls « We Are The Real Deal Body Image Blog | Health News says:

[…] original post here: Winslet's Body Best, Say Girls « We Are The Real Deal Body Image Blog Share and […]