Sunday, September 21, 2014

Kim’s “Big Butt” Problem

December 17, 2009 by
Filed under Body Image

A friend shared this Examiner article with me about Kim Kardashian (whose valley girl voice and omnipresence both annoy me to no end), where the reality starlet moans about her “big butt”  and talks about dieting her 5’2 frame down to 109 lbs.

“Kim says being called “the Tush” by bloggers and a “fat donkey” by former Miss USA Shanna Moakler really got under her skin.“I wasn’t heavy, but I was being criticized left and right,” she told People. “It really brought me down.”

That really sucks; no one should be called names, period! I can’t blame her for being upset.

But then in response, she dropped a bunch of weight and now is hating on her butt — her biggest asset (pardon the pun), saying “I was so unhappy with my big butt.”

Um, OK … really? Because you never looked unhappy posing in bikinis and stuff flaunting your body, Kim (and I personally think she’s built beautifully, but that’s neither here nor there).

What bothers me most of all is not that she wanted to lose weight or tone up … but rather that she’s a hypocrite.

Because while in one breath she’s bemoaning her body over at the Examiner, in this month’s Glamour, she speaks out about loving her curvacious figure and scoffs at those who tell her to lose weight.

This is what she said in Glamour:
On the comments that drive her nuts: “Some people say really mean things about my being overweight. I read something on my Twitter that was like, ‘Oh, you still need to lose a few pounds.’ And I’m just like, Seriously? Come on. If I’m happy and in shape, that’s all that should really matter.”

While I’m sure she sat for the Glamour interview months ago, it’s really hard to feel sorry for someone who has made herself into a celebrity and then on the one hand is body-bashing, and in the next, giving off a much more positive, commanding sense of body image. What message does that send to little girls?!

What gives, Kim?!

So clearly the timing of this Examiner piece must be deliberate … Oh wait … she’s endorsing a product! NOWWWWWWW we get it. This gets a big UGH from me.

How about you? Does this kind of blatant hypocrisy annoy you, or are you immune to it?

Comments

16 Responses to “Kim’s “Big Butt” Problem”
  1. Mish says:

welcome to hollywood, america, western society. welcome to little girls looking in the mirror. I saw literally on twitter two days ago Jenny McCarthy going ‘back to LA. jean buttons tight. back to working out and starving’. I was thinking great..you’re a WW spokesperson and here you are saying that you’re going to starve yourself. I retweeted her and said ‘working out fine..but starving yourself—come on!’

2. Joy Manning says:

That’s really sad. Her personality not withstanding, I thought she was gorgeous just the way she was.

3. Forestroad says:

I think the role model ship sailed when her sex tape with Ray J went public.

4. Stephanie says:

People are just obsessed with her butt. Bottom line. ;) She’s like the new J-Lo.
    BODA weight loss

5. FatNSassy says:

This is why our society is crumbling and I don’t feel one bit sorry for us. People have nothing better to talk about? Not to mention ample rears are just as good as any other kind. The former Miss American must be very insecure to make that comment. Most fatphobes are!

“Those who judge others by the size of their rear keep their own brains there!”

6. Meems says:

Yeah, it does bother me that she’s so hypocritical about weight. Being criticized is not a valid reason to lose weight. She is beautiful and has always had an amazing figure. I find it bizarre that anyone really cares enough to call her fat – to me it shows that Shanna Moakler has some serious issues with herself and her own body.

7. Jeanne says:

I don’t know why anyone would pay any attention to anything Kim Kardashian says. Let alone blog about it.

8. I don’t think it’s so much Kim being a hypocrite as it is Kim being human. Granted, her thoughts/feelings are more in the public eye because of her celebrity, so that puts her under a whole lot more scrutiny than the Average Jane. But I don’t think it’s all that uncommon to one day feel okay about how you look, and the next day not be quite so happy about it – and then act accordingly. I personally go through it all the time.

MeredeithElaine, I see what you meant, that that makes her human to have feelings but I know she was promoting a product and THAT is why she did an about face. That’s what irked me. Had she not been promoting said product my guess is she would have stayed comfortable in her own skin. It was only once she dropped weight b/c she was a spokeswoman that she had a real problem with the comments she had gotten.

9. Brandie says:

Thing is, you guys are all assuming that Kim actually said all of the things in both of these articles. How do we know that the writer and editors didn’t take liberties with regards to what parts of the interview and which quotes were actually used in these articles? We’ve all heard celebrities say later “that wasn’t what I meant,” or “that wasn’t how I said that” after an interview is published. This happens so frequently I find it difficult to believe a LOT of what I read in magazines. So much of what celebrities say and do is because of their publicists advice, which can change daily, and not their own true selves.

Brandie, that’s a good point-but when stuff like that happens (words are twisted, etc), their publicists usually go into full flak-mode, and correct the story or whatnot, as happened with Scarlett Johannsson (sp?) last year with British Glamour I think it was. Kim is hyping a product and that’s why she is out there.

10. cggirl says:

Yeah, I understand how hypocrisy is annoying, and I do completely see your point. But I do think it’s only human – I mean, I sometimes feel REALLY strongly about something, and am annoyingly vocal about it, then I change my mind. I might go back and forth on issues or have different phases. And I might be defensive or in denial or all sorts of things along the way. So since I myself am quite guilty of this, I really can’t fault someone else for it.

But, I think in general this trend of people – especially women – being famous for NOTHING is really annoying. And when someone is famous accidentally, like by association with someone else, or even if they are famous for a specific skill and all the attention might be more than they expected, and they happen to have all their very human faults in front of all of us, I want to cut them some slack because the rest of us get to mess up in private. But when it’s someone like this, who has gone out of her way to be famous (for doing NOTHING), then I don’t feel bad for them – they WANTED that attention. And even moreso if they are endorsing some stupid product.

I’m not sure what young girls are supposed to think about this, I just think they are not supposed to think about this woman at all. I know I don’t. I don’t get who she is, why she is famous, and why I should care about anything she says or does.

Ok I will stop my personal rant now… But Lissa I do get what you’re saying and why it bothers you.

I see what you are saying cggirl. And I know we all have positive body image days and other not-so-positive days. But when we’re being paid to endorse a product and THAT determines our sense of self-worth, it’s troublesome.

I personally have never watched her show and find her whole family ridiculously irritating. But I saw the hypocrisy here and wanted to call it out.