Sunday, December 4, 2016

Deep-Fried Girl Day?

December 2, 2009 by
Filed under Wellness

One of the top posts on WordPress today is “Deep Fried Guy Day” from Sweet Tater.

Why don’t women do this? Why don’t we just let it all rip, throw calorie count and healthy eating to the wind and fry up some ho-hos?

I do it — at least a few times a year, do you?

A must do is to strategically plan a major pig out at State Fair (I live in Wisconsin, and fried food on a stick is the bomb here). My husband, kids and I eat our way through the fair, cautiously sharing some of the entrees, so we don’t fill up too fast and end up passed out behind the cow barn before we’ve consumed all our favorites.

My fave by far is the foot-long corn dog. If you have never had one, get one. Quality doesn’t matter, buy ’em frozen, fresh whatever — just dip the thing in ketchup and you’re in heaven.

Then, we move on to the cream puff building. People go nuts over these things. They are good don’t get me wrong, but are they AMAZING? Not  really. They are just fun as hell to eat.

We usually finish it off with the most ridiculously huge Turtle Sundae with a side of popcorn, and call it a day.

So, tell me — do you ever just let yourself go (with NO GUILT) and eat whatever the hell you want?

If not, you must. Today.

Life is too damn short to sit around counting calories and fat grams.

Who is with me?!

-mV

Comments

22 Responses to “Deep-Fried Girl Day?”
  1. Meems says:

I’m with Nell on the greasy food. It just makes me feel sick.

I find that every time I give myself permission to eat whatever I want and buy everything I crave, I end up eating relatively little of it. My body really will tell me when it’s had enough.

2. Jen says:

So funny that you wrote this…… My friends and I are officially having our first ever “eat whatever the hell you want” night. And it’s not a night to stuff ourselves ridiculously full and moan and complain about how stuffed we are. Instead, it’s a night for us to talk girl talk, have a few drinks, eat, and relax.

I never thought I would use “eat whatever the hell you want” and “relax” in the same sentence…….but now I can…….and I think it’s amazing that I can actually do those two things at the same time! I’m so excited!

There are things I haven’t eaten in 14 years that I can’t wait to try!

I love that you can do this and maybe someday I’ll be there, too. That freedom to just enjoy is something to aspire to — but to be honest, even though I’m doing so much better now and can enjoy life and treats in moderation — I don’t think I’ve ever had a day with NO GUILT.

I’ve enjoyed plenty–don’t get me wrong–but I’m still always mentally doing a Points tally in my head. And I don’t deprive myself anymore; it doesn’t mean I won’t *eat* XYZ … just that I still can’t quite turn it 100% off. But I’m working on it …Monday night at a girls night dinner with friends, I ordered wood-fired pizza and it reminded me of the pizza I enjoyed in Italy … wonderful memories with my husband, and it felt nice to just let go a little, and to enjoy dessert, too.

But a whole day of not thinking/not worrying? Not there yet … just being honest.

On the flipside, I’m not a salty-fried-food fan, but literally no day goes by without me enjoying some chocolate so … 😉

• Forestroad says:

I am so with you, Lissa. My hope is that some day I will settle into this lifestyle and know that I don’t have to be counting calories every minute, though I’m pretty sure I’ll be counting them to some extent for the long haul. I can remember what it was like never caring, and that didn’t make me happy, but always caring is not making me happy either.

4. Nell says:

Eating whatever you want with no thoughts about the consequences? Sure! On “Girls’ Night In”. We stay home, cook and have all the greasy, sugary, artery-clogging stuff we want while watching some cool movie with some hot guys in it (next planned: Wolverine when I’m home for Christmas). Only… I can’t really eat a lot of greasy food as my stomach spoils the fun. Aww heck- there’s still chocolate, and hot chocolate, and ice-cream with chocolate, and chocolate fondue, and fruit. Oh, that could be frozen and dipped in chocolate…?

Yes, I’m a chocolate fiend. But I make all kinds of dessert-y treats for fun (including cream puffs) and we all eat them.

5. “I can’t really eat a lot of greasy food as my stomach spoils the fun.” An insightful comment, Nell.

I generally encourage everyone to eat what they want all the time. If we do, and we’re paying attention, I think we generally find that our bodies speak pretty clearly about when we’ve had enough, whether it’s amount or type of food. That doesn’t mean we can’t have a field day at the fair or elsewhere; we likely won’t do that often if we’re tuned in. It won’t make us feel well, as Nell’s comment suggests.

I guess, however, the ability to do this does depend somewhat on knowing what feeling good feels like. If we’re so far away from that due to always eating poorly even as a child, or disordered eating that has confused our bodies, we probably need to step back and try to eat differently so we can find out how good eating well feels. But once we know that, if we rely on our inner cues rather than our mind telling us we shouldn’t eat something, we’ll likely find ourselves choosing better foods most of the time without effort.

So bottom line, go for it if you really want it. Just pay attention and stop when your body tells you to.

• Forestroad says:

My problem, is when my taste buds and my stomach don’t agree. I can tell when my stomach wants me to stop, but sometimes my brain chemistry won’t let me. So stopping when my body tells me to is not such an easy proposition.

• Nell says:

Forestroad, I feel with you. I have come in from the opposite side- denying myself things even though my body craved them- and it’s taken me years and years to get to a healthy mind-set (with a bit of a chocolate addiction thrown in) most of the time. My body is still pretty messed up over some things (I literally need to curl up around a hot-water bottle from stomach cramps if I eat something really greasy), but my brain tells me to try them and go for them. Sometimes, it does the switch and tells me to stop eating something even though I can tell my body really needs it at the moment. Don’t give up! We humans are amazing creatures with extraordinary adaptability- I believe there’s nothing that cannot be learned or unlearned given time.

• Nell says:

Thanks, marsha. That’s exactly how I feel- we need to find our own “balance”. Thanks so much for wording it so succinctly!

6. sweettater says:

haha. amen.

deep fried guyday was actually the brainchild of a girl… this girl. that’s me, katie. 🙂

i actually write about health and fitness. so wouldn’t you know, the one time i had a deep fried fest it made it to the wordpress home page.

but anyway, high five for the wisconsin state fair. i grew up just south of the border in illinois. we were frequent visitors.

also… great cause, great site. 🙂

7. Diana says:

If we had those days where we ate too much, then wouldn’t we all get fat and unhealthy, plus doesn’t it cost an awful lot to do that?

• If we’re letting our bodies guide us, instead of our minds, we wouldn’t have those days very often. So, no, we wouldn’t get all fat and unhealthy. You’re right about the cost! These foods aren’t inexpensive.

• Frances says:

Exactly, Marsha.

I was lucky enough to spend three days in Paris last year. I went nuts over the food: I ate croissants and pastries everyday, I went to so many patisseries, and I ate a pile of amazing cheeses.

After those three days were up, all I wanted was a bowl of muesli with skim soy milk and fresh strawberries. My whole body was craving it.

These gorge days are great fun, but the body wouldn’t enjoy them everyday. To get fat and unhealthy, you’d have to make a serious effort to ignore your bodily cues and continue eating foods you didn’t feel like.

8. vitty10 says:

I’m with you mamaV! It feels great to just not care every once in a while. When my best friend and I go to the summer fair, she always had a corn dog, salty popcorn, ice cream and whatever other treats she sees on the way. I always get the cotton candy, fish & chips, milkshake and other things I see. Once in a while we’ll get together for the evening and eat KFC or greasy Chinese food. I don’t see anything wrong with it, it’s not like we’re having KFC every day. We don’t feel guilty about it at all.

9. mamaV says:

One thing I forgot to mention–having these “pigouts” as I like to call them have a psychological impact—when you allow yourself to consume these things, guilt free, I have found I have no desire for them whatsoever!

For example, would a corndog be a lunch choice for me? No because as Marsha points out, on an average day I am norishing myself for energy, mood, and well being. I don’t feel deprived because I know if I wanted the thing I’d just have it.

The other point is–food is fun! All of it. I don’t think we should get too crazy about ALWAYS calling out nutrition content–if something is just a ball of lard, who cares, eating it a few times a year should be pleasurable, and not so serious.

Of course, I say this standing at a mentally healthy place, a place it took me years to get to….so for someone in the midst of disordered eating cycles, this is obviously not the greatest idea because the thoughts and feelings behind this are not mentally healthy.
    mv

• “I don’t think we should get too crazy about ALWAYS calling out nutrition content–if something is just a ball of lard, who cares, eating it a few times a year should be pleasurable, and not so serious.”

Amen, mamaV!

• .C. says:

I was going to quote out there too, but just because for some reason the phrase “just a ball of lard” really tickled me.

.C.

• Diana says:

“….so for someone in the midst of disordered eating cycles, this is obviously not the greatest idea because the thoughts and feelings behind this are not mentally healthy.”

Oh.

• greenbunny78 says:

“for someone in the midst of disordered eating cycles, this is obviously not the greatest idea because the thoughts and feelings behind this are not mentally healthy.”

I kind of disagree, at least from the eating disordered standpoint that places food into “good” and “bad” categories. For myself, life became much better when I told myself there was no such thing as good and bad food- no “forbidden” food- and it helped tremendously. Does it still stress me out when I eat too much of something I used to have on my forbidden list? I would be lying if I said no- but as you said, giving yourself permission to eat something, anything, if you want it- takes some of the temptation away. Now I enjoy eating a bit of ice cream instead of secretly binging (and later purging) the whole container.

10. Frances says:

Oh man. I can’t wait to go to America (I live in Australia) and go to one of these State Fairs. It’s on my to-do list.