Saturday, October 1, 2016

Do You Believe in Mantras?

September 30, 2009 by
Filed under Wellness

img00007I used to think it was totally hokey to have a mantra. I thought only incense-burning, granola, living-out-of-my-backpack types had mantras.

But as I’ve gotten older, suddenly, I’ve found myself relying on them more and more.

Repeating these words to myself, or on my blog, have really helped me — even inspired me to be a better person, a healthier person.

Love her or hate her for her ever-changing body image stance (“I love my curves, mean media, leave me alone!” and then in the next breath, “Look at me, I’m hot, I lost 20 lbs in a week!”), Jennifer Love Hewitt shares her mantra in this month’s SHAPE magazine.

Ever since turning 30 in February, Jennifer’s been practicing the art of positive thinking. At night she says five things she finds sexy about herself. “I fall asleep feeling beautiful,” she says. “Then, in the morning, before I leave the house, I say five things I love about myself, like ‘You have really pretty eyes.’ That way I can go out into the world with that little bit of extra confidence. It’s a feel-good protein-shake in my back pocket in case someone messes with me that day.”

I really like this a lot, it reminds me of Caitlin’s Operation Beautiful blog–which I highly recommend we all visit and share our own Post-Its/notes. (Mine was: “You are beautiful inside and out; don’t forget it!”)

Here are some of my personal favorites:

“No choice” and “Choose pride over guilt.”(to remind myself I can choose to not engage in DE behaviors, or mindless munching)

“One sweet moment at a time.” (to remind myself to be patient and embrace life in the here and now)

“You’re worth it.” (to remind myself that regardless of what I see in the mirror I am “unapologetically me” and beautiful for it; I sign off a lot of e-mails and blog posts this way)

“To be womanly always, discouraged never.” (to remind myself of the words I love and want to live by, from my sorority’s symphony)

Having mantras seems to make my days easier, especially when I’m feeling down. Maybe I am “hokier” than I thought?!

How about you? Do you have a body image-related mantra (or other mantra) that you repeat to yourself? Have you visited Operation Beautiful?

Comments

16 Responses to “Do You Believe in Mantras?”
  1. Great post, Lissa! As a busy working mom of one teen and one almost-teen, finding time to take care of my health can be a challenge. My mantra for exercise is “something is better than nothing and nothing is never an option.”

Oh and I should add a quote that I love from Cicero: “Adopt a regimen of health, practice moderate exercise, ad take just enough food ad drink to restore our strength, not overburden it.” As someone who struggles with food issues and over-exercising … this one hits HOME.

3. Geosomin says:

My mantra? “I am worth it”
    I tend to do things for others and cut corners and skimp on things I need. Then I wonder why I’m tired or grumpy.
    I remind myself to exercise and looka fter myself and eat well…cuz I AM worth it 🙂

4. missyrayn says:

I try to tell myself everyday that I’m working the hardest I can and I can’t beat myself up.

I also have to remind myself that it’s okay to not be perfect. I am human and I’m okay.

5. Sal says:

Just discovered Operation Beautiful recently, and ADORE IT. Though my personal mantra is “If you don’t ask, the answer is always, ‘no,'” I am working on one that pertains to self-image, too. “You’re worth it” is pretty darn close to what I’m aiming for.

That’s a great one, MissyRayn.

Sal, isn’t Operation Beautiful awesome? It’s really something else. It started off as a singular blog post and turned into a spin-off blog!!! Amazing.

You, L’Oreal (and me) both 😉

8. Hil says:

My mantras are “I can’t fail unless I give up” and “have faith.” To me, the latter one means having faith that making the best choices I can will lead me to a good outcome. Small steps to love and care for myself will pay off. I may not end up where I expected, but where I end up will be the right place.

Hil, those are great mantras.

I like this, too. “I may not end up where I expected, but where I end up will be the right place.” I really am a firm believer in that; everything happens for a reason and for the best. Even when it doesn’t “seem” to be the case.

10. MizFit says:

I totally used to scoff at mantras. MOCK THE MANTRAS.

until I didnt 🙂

for me it all goes back to the Law of Attraction (I know, its been kind of bastardized by the Great and Mighty Oprah but I do believe there is a kernel of truth in it) as Ive found what I THINK and what I project is really what I create in my life.

11. elizabeth says:

This is my mantra for accepting not only myself, flaws and all, but for reminding me to practice non-judgmental acceptance of everyone I meet : “We are who we are.”

It used to be “I am what I am”, but that made me think of The Voice of God talking to Charlton Heston (as Moses) in an old movie, or Popeye the Sailor Man ( I yam what I yam)…and then I would start laughing.

I’m not sure if mantras have any more meaning or higher power than directing our thoughts, but even if that is all they do, that’s plenty!

Elizabeth, that is a really good one!! Wow.

Trackbacks

1. […] 30, 2009 This is a cross-post I did today at WeAretheRealDeal.com. You can click here or read it after the […]