Thursday, September 29, 2016

Beauty Junkies

July 22, 2009 by
Filed under Body Dysmorphia, Body Image

Beauty Junkies by Alex Kuszynski

Beauty Junkies by Alex Kuszynski

I stumbled upon this book recently, Beauty Junkies by Alex Kuczynski. The stories told by this New York Times Style reporter are literally stunning.

Alex worked the beauty beat for years, in one of America’s most plastic obsessed cities, riddled with wannabes from all ages, and lifestyles. She tells of male lawyers obsessed with botox injections, because they need to have that perfect “poker face” in court.

Botox injections are recommended no more than every 6 months, but these dudes rotate dealers, I mean doctors, every 8-9 weeks for their necessary fix.
Liposuction for the feet, botox in the wrinkles of the palms. I wish I was kidding.

And I know all about Body Dismorphic Disorder, but I suspect that in the majority of cases Alex details in her book, BDD is not the culprit. Our good old friend Self Esteem is lacking in these individuals, and lacking badly.

Take Mrs. X, the wife of a powerful Hollywood Executive (she refrained from revealing her real name). She manages her daily schedule around  primping and pumping needs. “It is her profession, hobby, passion, and primary relationship,” Alex explains.

Hairdresser: 2 times per week for color, style, stripping, you name it.

Exercise: Daily tennis for toning

Skin: Self Tanner (separate one for face, body and hands), once a week a facialist steams her pores and gently squeezes them, Marina Chicet Brain Lipid Serum slathered on the face daily to allow the cow brain extract to conceal her wrinkles.

Water: Only Penta, due to the high-energy sound waves that are used to make this water more hydrating than any other.

Vitamins: Murad Wet Suit to build collagen, and a cup of probiotic blue-green algae each morning for who the hell knows what.

Nails: Twice per week, buffed not polished, for a younger look.

State of Mind: Rolfing treatments in a series, not sure how many sessions that includes.

Makeup: She does not leave the house, without a professional appling her makeup. Oh, and her makeup artist has an assistant.

Teeth: Cleaned every 8 weeks, natural ones are whitened, veneers replaced annually

Eyebrows: Tweezed and tinted every other week.

Eyes: Lasik perfect.

Doctor visits: monthly, utilizing various techniques including Gore-Tex, Botox, collagen, Retylane, Artecoll.

Plastic surgeon visits: consultations 3 times per year, about 1 surgery annually.

Procedures done: liposuction, tummy tuck, two variations of a brow lift and face lift, upper eyes, lower eyes, implants twice (first batch were not large enough).

I am exhausted just thinking about this woman’s schedule. Exhausted, and so very sad for her. This quote encompasses her lack of self worth in a nutshell.

Alex asks her ” Is it difficult to be the wife of a powerful guy in Hollywood?

“How do you mean,” Mrs. X inquires.

“Do you ever wish you had a career?” Alex states.

There is a briefest of pauses.

“No, because I was never really going to be that good at anything,” she says. “Or at least I was never going to be so good at anything that I would have made a difference.”

Damn, I am glad to be me.

-mamaV

Comments

8 Responses to “Beauty Junkies”
  1. stacie says:

kind of makes me want to cry

2. Sarah says:

“You can even have lipo on the pad of fat on the top of your vagina, making wearing tight dresses much easier!”

Har har, I larfed so hard at that one.

3. Heather#2(?) says:

Whenever I hear these stories, all I can think is that it’s not these women (or men) who make these surgeries life changing (which they often are) or even necessary for continuing the lifestyles they want to live.

4. Meg says:

Ewww. Eww. That’s a joke, right? The fat on the mons is one of my favorite parts of my vulva. Why would I want to trade off that sweet little curve for a scar?! 🙁 And pay for the privilege, no less! (BTW the vagina is just the inside bit. Just a pet peeve of mine. Nobody mistakes the scrotum for the penis, so idk why people mistake the labia for the vagina.)

Basing your goals, your life’s work, on your looks is so sad, because it’s an unwinnable battle. You can spend hundreds of thousands on beauty treatments, but you’re still going to get older. You might look like a prettier version of older than you would’ve otherwise, but that’s not what these women are striving for. I wonder what the rates of depression are for career women vs. professional pretties after about… fifty, or so.

• Susan says:

You can even have lipo on the pad of fat on the top of your vagina, making wearing tight dresses much easier! Ewww. Eww. That’s a joke, right? The fat on the mons is one of my favorite parts of my vulva. Why would I want to trade off that sweet little curve for a scar?!

Some women have extra padding there which, if they are slim, makes their crotch look obvious (to put it politely). I don’t have that issue, but I can understand why some women would want to have that area liposucked.

Liposuction is performed using needles and shouldn’t leave a scar.

5. Mary says:

Wow, I am now dying to see a picture of her. I wonder what that beauty combo looks like.

• Nikki says:

You know what’s kind of funny? Sometimes when I’m just at the grocery store or on the bus or wherever I’ll see someone, some girl who probably took 5 minutes getting ready before she left her house, and I’ll be like, “Damn. She’s gorgeous.”

I think when people work too hard at something, it usually backfires. I prefer a simple look.